Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help    

Help

leva
Hungary

Help

Hi everyone,

My colleague asked me about this sign:@.I know that it is �at�-but why and what origin does it have?
Here in Hungary we call it �kukac�(worm).
Could anyone explain it?
Thanks in advance!
�va

13 Dec 2008      

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

here in Ukraine we call it "a dog"))

13 Dec 2008     

marzenka
Poland

leva, that�s a good question and I�m interested in the answer, too! In Poland we call it "a monkey" Smile

13 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

In aArgentina we call it "arroba"

13 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

The typographic character @, the at sign, is an abbreviation of the word �at� which evolved from the phrase "at the rate of" in accounting and commercial invoices, e.g. "7 widgets @ $2 ea. = $14". Nowadays, this commercial character is ubiquitous because of its use in e-mail addresses. In English, it is informally pronounced as at, and can be referred to as the at sign or the at symbol. Its official, typographic character nomenclature is commercial at in the ANSI/CCITT/Unicode character encoding standards. Some historical names are mentioned in the "History" section below.

if you speak Spanish, you�ll find another explanation here

13 Dec 2008     

sldiaz
Panama

In Panama we call it "arroba" too

13 Dec 2008     

leva
Hungary

Thanks for your answer Damielle.
It�s very interesting to know how do you call this sign in your language.Wikipedia gives the opportunity to look after different usage and language. I love the Turkish �g�l� which means rose(it�s really nice).(It�s a bit  funny when you use your name as an e-mail address and you have to say eg.worm after your name)Thanks again!
And many thanks for your nice comments on my worksheets,they always make my days:))

13 Dec 2008     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

In Greek it is called "duckling".  :-)

13 Dec 2008     

cgato
Portugal

In Portugal we call it "arroba" too! Funny that it has so many different names depending on the country!LOL

13 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

In Israel we call it "strudel"  like in "apple strudel".  

13 Dec 2008     

domnitza
Romania

Hi!
@ is <monkey tail> in Romanian.

13 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >