Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > bullfighting    

bullfighting

dawnmain
United Kingdom

bullfighting

I have lived in Spain for 16 years. Bullfighting and animal rights are a common theme of conversation.   I think bullfighting should be banned.  The British tend to be very sentimental about animals. But I am interested to know what other nationalities think about �los toros �. 

7 Apr 2011      

nikabike
Vietnam

Hi,
I am from Barcelone (I show this flag because I am living in Nepal for a year). I am from the North of Spain, a little region called Catalonia. In this region (for many Catalan people, our country) "toros" are banned. We do love animals and we try to protect their rights as much as we can. This is a Spanish tradition which has nothing to do with us and I am sure that many Spanish people don �t like "toros" at all.

Take care.

Nika

7 Apr 2011     

christybridgeman
Japan

American, same here. I cannot stand the idea of animals being tortured.  But, pigs in taiwan have it much worse I think:

7 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

Well, I can �t speak for all Greeks and I know we don �t have the best reputation or tradition in terms of protecting animal rights, but I can speak for myself and the people I know. I think this "game" should be banned. I also think circuses using animals and hunting as sport should be banned, and I can assure you that many people in Greece would agree with these suggestions...
We used to have gypsies going around towns making bears dance to the sound of the tambourine...Thankfully, that has been banned and bears are now under protection, especially since they are becoming extinct in Greece.

7 Apr 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Fox hunting has been banned in the UK as far as I know.

7 Apr 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

I deplore bullfighting and of course would love there to be an outright ban but I feel it gets a disproportionate amount of attention. Why aren �t people getting upset about cruel and barbaric farming practices which affects millions and millions of animals every day throughout the world? Out of sight out of mind and all that I guess. I �m all for eating meat but we seriously need to cut down on the amount we eat,and our demand for it to be so cheap! And we need to be far more curious and concerned about where all our food comes from.

La Colibrita

7 Apr 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Fox hunting isnt banned - they can chase the fox but not throw it to the dogs. I think they can still shoot it.

I live in galicia and my students  tend to against bullfighting because there isnt much tradition here but when I lived in Madrid it was a completely different story.  What is very strange is the outrage that is provoked by stories of cock fighting and dog fighting.  It seems so hypocritical.

And Colbrita, I agree, I haven �t eaten meat or fish for 20 years (not easy in Galicia) for those very reasons  but I make a distinction between killing for meat and killing for sport (or culture as they call it).  In my mind, there is simply no excuse.

I would really like to hear opinions from the rest of Europe and other latin countries.

7 Apr 2011     

Katiana
Spain

Hi everybody,

I�m Spanish but I�m against bullfighting and other types of cruelty towards animals. I once read this sentence:

�If bullfighting is an art, cannibalism is gastronomy�.

I totally agree with it.

Have a nice evening/ day.

Hugs,

Katiana

7 Apr 2011     

xochitsin
Mexico

Great quote Katiana!! I �ll take it to show it to my friends ;)

7 Apr 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

You know, I �m a sensitive foreigner, but isn �t a bullfight  a perfect expression of Spanishness. Sol y sombra -- drama, tragedy, and fatalism. Fearless furia espanola and all Spain �s enimies tremble. 
Anyway If I were in Spain, I would go to Museo Del Prado, take a walk around Old Madrid and would do shopping...Smile

7 Apr 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I once took part in a �Course Landaise � (involving specially-bred cows) when I was young, stupid and drunk and I �ve regretted it ever since. I applaud Catalonia �s decision to ban bullfighting. Thankfully, the sun is about to set on Mr Hemingway �s dancing �heroes � in this part of the world at least.

I love Wilde �s definition of foxhunting: "The unspeakable in pursuit of the inedible".

7 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >