Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > One more country down...    

One more country down...

magneto
Greece

One more country down...

I would just like to express my deepest sympathies to our Portuguese friends as their country has also just applied for a bail-out by the EU and the IMF...

Good luck, dear friends...Hope your government is not as corrupt as ours and chooses to implement more reasonable policies to improve the country �s position...If that is an option, of course...

Sorry for the "political" (or whatever else it might be called) comment, but I think it �s time people from all European countries started worrying...Huge games are being played at the expense of the people...

7 Apr 2011      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Magneto

"
Hope your government is not as corrupt as ours "

Of course it isn �t, but, may be it is more.

7 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

unfortunately a wise man said centuries ago : �if you want to divide men speak about politic and religion �... How difficult it is to lead in an actual and sincere way a country...
keep your mind positive all of you ! Someone else said : �The night is always deeper before dawn. �

7 Apr 2011     

serene
Greece

Hi, magneto, I �m not very ...clever Wink and I don �t understand much about politics and economics, nor do I know what games are being played at our expense. What I do know very well though is that after so many years of hard work I am now being treated as if I �ve been a lazy parasite, a loafer. And I feel this isn �t just unfair, it �s deeply humiliating and infuriating...

7 Apr 2011     

coasvaf
Portugal

Yes, serene... we �re being treated as...well, I can�t even find a word. I just feel frustation.

7 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

My sympathy to our Portuguese friends.
All I can wish is that their leaders will prove more capable in handling the crisis than ours.

And serene, of course being treated the way you describe is inexcusable, and humiliating for those who treat you like that. It makes no sense in this crisis for employers and employees to become enemies. If we are to get anywhere, we all have to fight it hand in hand.
But this much I must say: Being an employer myself you wouldn �t believe the amount of personal... well, sacrifice, I would say, to keep the employees income steady at least until the end of the school year. Parents just can �t afford the fees any more.

Let �s hope some sort of viable solution will appear on the way, otherwise, things look extremely bleak.

7 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

Hey Serene!

My point exactly...Perhaps you will find these two documentaries interesting:

debtocracy

apology of an economic hitman

Debtocracy is in Greek, so I can only suggest them to Serene or other Greek members. However, if I remember correctly, "Apology of an economic hitman" is in English, so perhaps non-Greeks would like to watch it, too.

A colleague has also suggested this one, but I haven �t watched it myself, so I don �t know if it �s any good.

Enjoy (so to speak...)

Edit: @ Polyanna: It�s good to know there are also good employers out there...I�ve heard the uggliest stories about employers who use the crisis as an excuse to exploit their employees.

I really hope the Portuguese will do better than us!

7 Apr 2011     

serene
Greece

Magneto, I �ve already seen the second one. It was put on Greek TV some time ago, don �t remember exactly, I think Kouloglou presented it on his TV show Reporters without Borders.
I haven �t seen the first one yet, I �m going to watch it asap. Thanks for the links!

Polyanna, I teach at a public school, so my employer is the Greek state...

I hope things won �t be as bad for the Portuguese people.

7 Apr 2011     

pollyanna_pl
Greece

Oooops serene, I get your point then, but I was right in this aspect: the humiliation is all theirs, and no one �s else.
Full credits for you for creating such lovely worksheets for your state school students. You are such a welcome rarity!

7 Apr 2011     

magneto
Greece

P.S.2: The reporter who made Debtocracy was fired from the radio station (one that is generally considered as respectable) where he was working a few days ago...The same radio station owner owns a well-known (and also respectable...) newspaper from which a reporter was also fired a couple of months ago...after publishing an article on the privileges of MPs and Parliament employees...Coincidence???

7 Apr 2011     

perma
Greece

Magneto: I don �t think so!LOL

I �m also a state school teacher. Can I get a pat on the back too? Because I definitely feel that I �m treated like dirt here. I could rant for hours actually, but I won �t. 

I �ll go check now what has happened in Portugal. I don �t watch the news anymore, it �s too much for me!

Chin up!

7 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >