Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "th" (and other) sound difficulties    

"th" (and other) sound difficulties

lovinglondon
Spain

Why do you say so????? Spaniards have difficulties as the rest of the people.....

13 Apr 2011     

juliag
Japan

Just remembered another common one here, "v" often gets ponnounced as "b." So "vet" sounds like "bet."

13 Apr 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

The Dutch have a huge problem with �th �. Also, some words with a ch. E.g reached would be pronounced rea-chid.

13 Apr 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

@stonefarm: fascinating idea to make worksheets on typical learner mistakes from a speech pathologist �s perspective. I know that advertising is frowned upon here, but if you ever get round to making those wss, could you alert me (by pm)?

Although I �m more inclined towards the position put forward in Chris �s post re EIL learners, many of my students who are aiming for Advanced and Proficiency levels specifically request correction of pronunciation errors.

@dawnmain: I �m afraid I �m with Eva ( �lovinglondon �) on this. Spanish learners have problems specific to Spanish learners, just as Japanese learners have problems specific to them. And I�d add that unvoiced  �th � is not really one of them - they have the �ceceo �, remember - unless it�s part of a consonant cluster.

PS @stonefarm: there �s an interesting report on unusual Cockney-style th-fronting (fings for things etc) among young Glaswegians nowadays (where th-debuccalisation - hink for think was more common) here.

13 Apr 2011     

douglas
United States

Moravc hit the nail on the head--I couldn �t explain it better.  I have the same problems she does with my German students.

I usually start my first class with "My name is Doug as in Douglas, not Duck as in Donald."

13 Apr 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Lovinglondon and almaz - Ive been teaching in Spain for 16 years.  Im not saying they are better or worse than other nationalities, just that they have lots of problems. 

13 Apr 2011     

stonefarm
Australia

Thankyou so much for all of your insightful responses.  I really appreciate the time and effort you �ve taken to give me such specific information on the sound errors of esl speakers in different countries .  I will take the time over the next few days to reply to each of you.  You  may be interested in a website used by Speech Pathologists created by Caroline Bowen called "speech-language-therapy.com".  She has many free articulation pictures and word lists, many of which are �minimal pairs � ( phoneme not grapheme minimal pairs) i.e error pairs. e.g. that / vat, right / light, etc.  It can be a little difficult to navigate if you don �t know the technical terms for the errors but try going to:
�RESOURCES -> freebies � and then start scrolling down.  I will try and make some worksheets, minimal pairs lists and remediation suggestions, as I get time, based on the information you have given me. If there is anything specific you would find of use or need to know re articulation, let me know and I �m happy to try and work with you, keeping in mind that Australian pronunciation can be a little different than some other English speaking accents.  Thankyou again.

13 Apr 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Stonefarm,

My old copy of "Ship or Sheep" had pronunciation errors of English, committed by different language speakers or nationalities, in lists.

This site shows 23 common pronunciation errors of English.

This site gives non-native pronunciation of English.

This site deals with �th �.

You are probably familiar with all of these.

My experience is:
"Thy" becomes "Dy"; or "Zy". 

"Thigh" becomes "Ty"; or "Sy".

"Teeth" becomes "Teet"; or "Teess".

"Teethe" becomes "Teed"; or "Teez".

I hope that this helps.

Les

13 Apr 2011     

isabelle99
Monaco

A FUNNY EXAMPLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5xu35bAxA

13 Apr 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Just a little hint I forgot.

To make the TH sound - you don �t necessarily need to place the whole tongue LOL between i
the teeth!  Not even half of it. We native speakers don �t do that or you �d see film stars doing it and looking ridiculous! 

I only use the very tip of my tongue and I usually place it upwards against the back side of my upper teeth. I �ve just asked a few American and British friends and they say same - we don �t stick our tongues out!!!Smile

How many native speakers here do that?  Take a mirror and look!
It �d be interesting to know.

13 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >