Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > comparison of scale    

comparison of scale

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

comparison of scale

Hi colleagues! Can you help me to fully understand comparison of scale in which we use as...as? at first I thought that "as...as" is used to compare between two equal things
This example is clear: John is 15 years old. Peter is 15 years old. John is as old as Peter.
But I found out that " as...as"" can also be used to compare between unequal things.
for example, I can �t see much difference between these two sentences
1- The blue car is three times as expensive as the red one.
2- the blue car is more expensive than the red one.
Thank you for your help.

14 Apr 2011      

yanogator
United States

The difference is that "three times as expensive as" is specific, while "more expensive than" is not specific.

If John is 30 and his son is 15, then
John is twice as old as his son. = John �s age is two times his son �s age.

So, you can see that I am taking the expression "as old as" (which means equal to) and multiplying it by two, producing "twice as old as". This is a very common construction.

Now, with that said, here in the US, people are incorrectly using the same expression the other way, and saying "John �s son is twice as young as John". This doesn �t work. It is especially used when talking about prices, saying that one thing is three times cheaper than the other (trying to mean that the second item �s price is three times as much as the first). This doesn �t work, because "one time cheaper" would be "100% lower price", making its price zero. Then "three times cheaper" would have to mean "300% lower price", meaning that they would pay you twice the price to take it from them. I would be happy to buy things that way (where the seller pays me to take it), but I don �t think it �s going to happen, even if people say their item is "three times cheaper".

I hope this hasn �t confused you too much. If so, just ignore the long paragraph.

Bruce

15 Apr 2011     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thank you so much Bruce. your answer is useful. the key word was "specific". Now I can see the difference. your "long paragraph" is quite helpful and funny at the same time. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks a lot. Have a nice time Smile

15 Apr 2011     

yanogator
United States

You �re welcome. I was intending to be funny, and hoping to be helpful.

Bruce

15 Apr 2011