Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > ONLY THE BEST EXCUSES    

ONLY THE BEST EXCUSES

ueslteacher
Ukraine

One day a 7th-grader told me he left his daybook (you know our ss have daybooks where the teacher puts marks and makes notices for parents)  at home, when I demanded it as he hadn �t done his homework and obviously was about to get a notice. Imagine what happened next! The class was over and the 7th grade left. Next class the principal of the school shows up and says he would like to be present at my class as part of assessment of my teaching (to be promoted) So I told him he was welcome. My 6th-graders arrived and we had a regular class but when it was time for me to give them marks and make a record in their daybooks, I asked "Please, give me your daybooks" And there was the principal handing me a daybook too!Smile What happened was he found a daybook under the chair my 7th-grader claimed had been left at home. So guess what? - I gave him a notice. At recess the 7th-grader came looking for what he thought remained hidden, instead I handed him his daybook with a notice.
Sophia

15 Apr 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

Sorry to disappoint you, guys, but it never has happened with my students. I worked in Chinese community. The student were mainly from Hong Kong. They asked more and more work! Teacher, homework! Oh, my!  And it was much often when i had to come up with exuces for their not having enough �challenging entertainment � to do at home. Ermm

16 Apr 2011     

Zora
Canada

@Mapleleaf... maybe you should tell us your excuses for not giving homework! Wink

16 Apr 2011     

angelcris
Brazil

Well, the best are:

1. "Teacher, yesterday I slept at Grandma �s and my English book is at my parents � home."

2. "As you were supposed to show us our grades and tests, I thought I wouldn �t have to bring the book."

If you have read Teacher Man, by Frank McCourt, you know that there �s a chapter in which the writer/narrator/teacher decided to plan a whole class of creative writing, to teach the students argumentative strategies using all the (fake) excuse notes his students brought him and he kept in the drawer.
It �s a book we should all read.
Have a nice weekend!Wink

16 Apr 2011     

intra
Poland

I teach in my private school and I hardly ever hear any excuses, but if they do happen, they �re usually made by younger students, like, for example, by a 5th-grader who "has left his homework at his sister �s", or a 7th-grader who hasn �t brought his coursebook to the class when he �s to take a test because "he thought it wouldn �t be necessary as he thought the test would last all the 60 minutes of the lesson" (while it wasn �t his first test here and he really knew it was supposed to be short). That �s just laziness ;)
And once one of my secondary-school graduates was to hand in a writing assignment - an informal letter to a penfriend describing some environmental threats and explaining how this issue is dealt with in our country - the subject that we had been discussing and practising the related vocabulary for a few hours. And he came and said he hadn �t had the inspiration to write it :) And the next week he came and said he had started writing a bit, but hadn �t managed to finish it and needed more time :)) And imagine him coming the following week begging me to give him something different to write because he just "doesn �t like the subject and he really doesn �t know what to write" :)))

16 Apr 2011     

< Previous   1    2