Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > MOTHER īS DAY IN YOUR COUNTRY...    

MOTHER īS DAY IN YOUR COUNTRY...

Mar0919
Mexico

MOTHER īS DAY IN YOUR COUNTRY...

Hi, everybody! I would like to ask for your generous help. I am preparing a simple worksheet on "Mother īs Day"... (yes, I know, I know, I should be resting! but I feel so useless just doing nothing) and... well, I thought to be an interesting topic to know how Mother īs Day is celebrated around the world. I thought of googling this, but, the info I got is so... mmm.... ŋimpersonal? I mean, just facts, no warmth or enthusiasm on what this special day means to many people. And sometimes the information isn īt even correct.

Would you like to share with me how Mother īs Day is celebrated in YOUR country? special meals, etc, whatever you would like to share will be very useful!

Thanks in advance!

Hugs!

Mar

19 Apr 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

Dear Mar,

In Thailand, on the 12th August it is celebrated as the birthday of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit and the nation immerses in celebrations. As the Queen is also regarded as mother to all Thai people, this day is also celebrated as 餹other𠏋 Day.�

Thai people commemorate this day because of the queen𠏋 benevolence towards needy and poor in the nation. The Queen has captured the hearts of Thai people through her devotion towards welfare and well- being of her people.

For this occasion, people all around the country raise national flags and houses are decorated with the portrait of Her Majesty the Queen. This is their way of expressing their loyalty and honour to her.

Not only limited to birthday celebration of the Queen, Thai people also take this day as an opportunity to thank their dear mother for her unconditional love. Mother𠏋 day morning in Thailand starts by giving alms to the monks. Following the Thai tradition, kids kneel down before their mother to show their love and gratitude. They present her with white jasmine flowers in return, mother showers them with water with her blessings on kids. On this day, white jasmine flowers are a common sight in Thailand as they are the symbol of maternal love.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

You can see HERE

19 Apr 2011     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hello, Mar. In Lithuania it īs the first Sunday of May. We don īt have any specific traditions for this day. Edited: OK. We do give flowers for our Mums and children give cards. Concerts and plays are performed at schools or kindergartens. What I meant by saying that there are no specific traditions is that Motherīs day in Lithuania is not that grand as in Thailand.

19 Apr 2011     

laurike
Lithuania

Well, actually in Lithuania there is a tradition to give flowers to your mother, especially tulips or roses, or to put a candle on the grave if your mother is dead.

19 Apr 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

When I was a kid in Holland we wuld celebrate mother īs day on the first Sunday in May. The idea was to spoil mom for a day. I remember we would get up before her and make her a fancy breakfast on bed (never mind that the kitchen would look like a war zone which she later had to clean up.. :) We would try to not have her do any work whatsoever. and of course the kids would make sweet cards or poems for Mom.

In Israel, booohooo, the Jewish population doesn īt celebrate mother īs day as such anymore. It was replaced by īfamily day � which basically is one more day for mom to work a little harder to get an extra nice meal on the table or to remember to get a little gift for the kids and the hubbie.....
My kids went to an Arab-Jewish kindergarden, and there they did celebrate Mother īs day because the Arab population in Israel does celebrate it. (the kids would celebrate all the festivals together so during those years I did get a card for mother īs day!!!)
It would be interesting to hear from Israeli Arabs or from Palestinians how they celebrate it.

19 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear dear Mar,

I agree with you : when you enjoy your activity it is not work ! But please take great care of you !

Here in France there is, of course, a lot of ad about Mother īs Day. In the primary schools kids usually make some craft and postcards with poems or personnal messages. The crafs may be jewel boxes with cheese boxes or a white book to note down recipes or pasta necklaces or anything of that kind you can think of. To do that you need plenty of colors for papers to stick on the craft, plenty of pearls or little things like that. Think of paint for the ashtrays (for Father īs Day). If it is a nice calendar kids will draw or paste images.

No common breakfast at school but imagine home the BIG SECRET told to daddy and the actual impatience of the kids. It is really hard not to reveal what the surprise is ! Imagine flowers, laughs and happiness (I dare hope it is not only in my imagination but for most of the families as I often heard pleasant anecdotes) around the open present. The kids recite their poem home with a great seriousness because they believe what they are telling Mum.

So Mother īs Day is mainly celebrated at home. Father and kids may take her to the restaurant or the cinema or somewhere else where she would like to go. The eldest have to find their own ideas of present : books or CDs, a passage at the beautician īs, flowers...

So as you can see the magic is not really in the streets but in the hearts and homes.

Take great great great care of you dear !

Plenty of hugs.  Maryse.

19 Apr 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Hi, dear Mar!
Here in Portugal Motherīs Day is also celebrated on the first Sunday of May. However, I remember when I was a young girl it used to be on the 8th December. Anyway, as far as I know it is a family meaningful party: Children, helped by their father, prepare a beautiful surprise with flowers and any other present. Besides, in some families mothers are spared from chores for a day.
As to me, Iīve always enjoyed Motherīs Day, because we have more time to hug and kiss and say beautiful words and add important meanings to the part we play in the family and in society.

19 Apr 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

In Slovenia Mother īs Day is celebrated on March 25th . Many people also celebrate the international Women īs Day on March 8th. It is probably celebrated by more people than Mother īs Day.

There are no special traditions though - you just do something nice for your mum and wish her a happy Women īs Day (Mother īs Day), maybe give her a little present or flowers. On women īs Day you give a little something - like a flower - or express good wishes to other important women in your life, too - like grandmother, daughter, wife, etc - not to forget your mother-in-law: she īs the woman who raised your spouse, after all... 

19 Apr 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Redbull, very interesting! Thank you also Silvanija, Laurike, Marion, dear Maryse, Teresa and Minka! Your anecdotes are very interesting and helpful.

Let īs see if more friends care to comment on this celebration in their country!

Hugs!

19 Apr 2011     

olaola
Italy

In Italy Mother īs Day is the second Sunday of May. We usually give present to our mothers, and particularly flowers (roses!), and we have a meal together. Children at school prepare cards, songs and little presents.

19 Apr 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Olaola! Hope to receive some more participations please!!!

Hugs!

20 Apr 2011     

1    2    Next >