Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Book club     

Book club

sweet hannah
Egypt

Book club

Hi Everybody,

Happy Easter to you all. I want to start a book club with my grade 8 and 9 students. I wonder if any of you had done that before. If you can suggest some titles, I �ll be grateful. I �m thinking of short but rich in language books.

Thanks in advance

23 Apr 2011      

AACG
Argentina

Sweet Hannah,
It really depends on the students likes and levels. I try to use "the classics" ( adapted versions ) by MacMillan, Oxford or Pearson.
Some titles I have used and that my students  liked: Jane Eyre, The case of the blue diamond (and other Sherlock Holmes stories), The Happy Prince, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Emma.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

23 Apr 2011     

maryse pey�
France

hi dear,

why not start with the now international Harry Potter series by J K ROWLING ?

Then you have the Percy Jackson one by Rick RIORDAN who wrote also the excellent The Red Pyramid.

The Stoneheart trilogy with Stone Heart (1st book) by Charlie FLETCHER.

And finally a trilogy (advised by a wonderful young friend of mine) by Cornelia FUNKE : The Inkheart trilogy, with Inkheart as the 1st book.

Hope it could help.

23 Apr 2011     

stonefarm
Australia

Hi

1.The �39 Clues � is a popular series at the moment - for boys and girls
2.Scott Westerfeld has written 2 of his 3 trilogy books - �Behemoth � and �Leviathan �.  They seem to be reasonably high interest.

For the boys who like high adventure, a few authors may include:
3.Gabrielle Lord - Conspiracy 365 series
4.James Patterson - the author of adult thrillers has written some �young adult � books such as �Daniel X �.
5. Rick Riordan - as mentioned in a previous reply.
6. Eoin Colfer - the �Artemis Fowl � series

If you �re looking for some humour (you may need to screen the content)-:
7.Paul Jennings
8.Morris Gleitzman
9.Andy Griffiths
10.Roald Dahl

Some of these authors also write adult fiction so you need to be careful in choosing the titles and some may be a little young, depending on students � English and reading levels.

Hope it goes well.

23 Apr 2011     

baiba
Latvia

Teens might like The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
It is a book that asks a lot of questions and may ignite heated discussions. To me, it felt like I was reading a video game.

23 Apr 2011     

sweet hannah
Egypt

Thank you so much. You �ve been very helpful.

26 Apr 2011