Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > First Conditional    

First Conditional

Anna P
Brazil

First Conditional

Today I gave 2 of my students a ws about First Conditional and I was unsure about two sentences. I don`t remember the author`s name so I cannot ask his/her help.  The heading explains that we use the Present Simple for the CONDITION and will or won`t + base verb for the RESULT.  I hope you will be able to help me.
1. Melissa _____(can) to go out later if she ____(not finish) her homework.
2. My uncle ____ (can) to go to the opera if he ______ (remember) to get the tickets.
Thanks for your help.

By the way, I kind of like it when I don`t know the correct answer in front of my students.  It makes them a little more at ease with their mistakes.  Once I wrote `babana` and `aplle` on one of my OE and my student spotted the mistake.  Everytime she makes a mistake she looks at me, smiles, and says babana!`

27 Apr 2011      

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

You need to use: will be able

so: 1 - won�t be able / doesn�t finish
      2 - will be able / remembers

27 Apr 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Thanks a lot, Kate.  That`s exactly what we figured out it should be but we weren`t sure.
I`m glad we were right.  Hug

28 Apr 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Dear Ana, I love your babana strategy!Smile
Looking for a solution together with students is a real learning situation and this is why it works! 

28 Apr 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

I reward my students with a sweet if they can find mistakes in my speech or writing.
I also give them a sweet if they make a mistake and I can use it as a teaching point.
Mistakes are so important for growth.
My favourite expression is �cool bananas �. Perhaps it should now be �cool babanas"
Cheers Joy

28 Apr 2011