Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > IDIOMS    

IDIOMS

maroemma
Greece

IDIOMS

Hello there!
I �m teaching my students an adaptation of Alexander Dumas � "The Three Musketeers".
I came across this line "Mr de Treville was wearing a frown so fierce it could have curdled milk". Is "milk curdling" used in a similar way to "blood curdling" here?
Thank you in advance- Maria

1 May 2011      

luglena
Ukraine

hi, yes it really is 

we can say curdle about MILK and BLOOD and EGGs as well, I even checked Lingvo for it

to prove it we even have the word curds that stands for the thick white substance which is formed when milk turns sour, used as the basis for cheese

1 May 2011     

maroemma
Greece

Thank you very much dear friend!
Have a nice week at school!

1 May 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Wow, thanks a lot! I have never heard "curdled milk" but I guessed it right.
I am happy to learn something new.

1 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
And sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

"Curds" means the solid part of curdled milk. Whey is the liquid part, which is drained away in the cheese-making process. In cheese-producing areas of the US, you can buy cheese curds, which are just fresh cheese that hasn �t been pressed into a block or wheel of cheese and aged. Some places sell cheese curds that are breaded and fried.

Bruce

1 May 2011     

maroemma
Greece

Hi Bruce,
I was so looking forward to meeting you. Does it actually mean in the book that he was really really frightened? The way it is used as an idiom I mean

1 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

No, not frightened. It is saying that M. de Treville had a look on his face that was so sour (unpleasant, unfriendly) that it could curdle milk. Something that is blood-curdling is very frightening, but this is different. Luglena was just answering that the physical/chemical action of curdling (coagulation) is the same for blood, milk and eggs, not that this is the same situation as, say, a blood-curdling scream, which is very frightening. In this situation, we can say that M. de Treville had the most unpleasant expression you can imagine.

Clear enough?
Bruce

1 May 2011     

maroemma
Greece

I am most grateful, Bruce. Clear as the blue sky ;)

1 May 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Curdled milk looks almost like cottage cheese - it is definitely sour and forms small balls.

2 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Curdled milk is basically milk that has gone bad; hence that expression... His frown was "sour, mean, not nice", it could "spoil" a happy occasion.

However, when you "curdle" milk as Bruce explained, you are making curds, a process that is similar to the cheese making one. It �s usually the step before you take the curds and pat them together to make a cheese...  

2 May 2011     

MapleLeaf
Canada

If a a blood can be curdled, it can be drawn as well. Which will be the same petrifying effect caused by the fierce expression of Mr de Trevile.
The expression of his face was fierce enough to draw blood. :) Spooky

2 May 2011