Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > DOWN LOADS    

DOWN LOADS

yanogator
United States

In the US, "Thanks a bunch" means the same as "Thank you". Of course, both phrases can be used sarcastically.

Bruce

6 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

I have to agree with Bruce. I �ve never heard that "thanks a bunch" was anything different than a "Thank you". 

6 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

That would be a "tone-of-voice thing" to make it sarcastic. The same could be said for "please" or "your welcome" etc. Easy to understand the confusion if you watch a lot of comedies in English though.

6 May 2011     

amyi
France

I �m interested to read that "Thanks a bunch" is meant sincerely in the US and Canada!  In Britain, I think that it sounds sarcastic whatever tone you use!

7 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I think that �s just the English (people). Lol! I think I see what you mean though. Like "whatever" meaning "it does �n �t matter which." But in the UK we also tend to say "Thank �s a lot" with a tendency to sarcasm, too. I suppose it all depends on the people you talk to and in what context.

8 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2