Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HELP    

HELP

nounou96
Albania

HELP

Hi everybody

I am in having trouble trying to explain need to be done and need v+ing?

Is there any difference between the two structures ?

6 May 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

my car needs to be repaired : PASSIVE FORM with a passive infinitive.

�my car needs repairing� is the exact sentence to write as a very kind colleague told me privately. Thanks to her I can give you a good answer ! Dreaming is not always good when working.

6 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

The active form is "I need to repair my car". In British English, they also say "My car needs repairing" (I think).

Bruce

6 May 2011     

nounou96
Albania

Thank you for your help but still on the book they wrote this

both structures have similar meaning which is need to be done like in thses two examples;

the TV needs to be fixed
the TV needs fixing

So are they both passive ???

6 May 2011     

maryse pey�
France

yes, the difference is that �to be fixed � is a passive infinitive whereas �fixing � is a gerundive.
Both sentences are passive, only the end is different.
�Fixing � insists on the action of whereas the infinitive passive is neutral.

6 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I wouldn �t call the second one passive, because there is no form of "to be" in the sentence.

Bruce

6 May 2011     

memthefirst
Turkey

Bruce I think the second sentence is structurally active but semantically passive

6 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

I �ll accept that, mem.

Bruce

6 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

As a finite verb, �need � can be followed by either the infinitive with �to � (eg I need to learn the words of �Little Deuce Coupe � by Saturday) or the gerund (this accordion needs tuning).

The auxiliary �need � only takes the uninflected bare infinitive (as in �I/you/he need never know... �)

As far as the passive is concerned, you don �t always need an explicit form of �to be � (attributive modifiers like �densely populated � or �intensely disliked � - �an intensely disliked boss �, for example - are essentially subjectless passives). I �m not too sure if that �s what �memthefirst � means by "the second sentence is structurally active but semantically passive".

Apparently, it �s frowned upon in the US to say �my car needs washed � (Merriam-Webster DEU). Is this still true? If it �s any consolation, �my car wants washing/washed � is quite common in the UK and the knowledge that it �s not considered �standard � hasn �t caused mass psychoses and suicides yet.

6 May 2011     

memthefirst
Turkey

Dear Almaz,
As far as I �m concerned in your examples the words " populated" and "disliked" are Adjectives instead of Verbs.

6 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Mem,

I did say �attributive modifiers�.  Populated by whom?/disliked by whom?. The agent isn�t mentioned, that�s all.

6 May 2011