Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > The Wire    

The Wire

annelaure
France

The Wire

Hi! I was wondering if any of you has ever used the HBO series THE WIRE in class? 

7 May 2011      

cheezels
New Zealand

I loved this series BUT unless your students are adults then I would not use this in class at all. It �s tough and gritty and just maybe too much. Drugs, violence, sex, murder, corruption... Like I said I loved this series and the actors were awesome, but the themes and topics can be approached in a different way in the classroom if that is your objective.

If it is just to watch and comment in general on an English series then I personally would not use this. Even with adults.

7 May 2011     

annelaure
France

well, I don �t agree with that, the series on the high school I find pretty interesting for my students (they are 16 by the way), even the one on politics and corruption, I don �t agree that we should only show Titanic �s types of films to our students, because if you want then to have a discussion in class, you won �t go very far. We also might have a different approach to this in France, but that �s a cultural thing. 
Well, I won �t of course show them really disturbing segments, don �t worry!

7 May 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

I didn �t say Titanic type of films but this series is about really hardcore view of drugs and so forth. There are a lot of more suitable series out there.

It very well could be a cultural thing but I still wouldn �t show it in class.

What is your overall theme? Why do you want to use THIS particular series?
You can still get some very young 16 year olds and this is a show for adults in my opinion.

7 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well if you use "Father Ted" I have lesson plans for every episode from series 3 in my download section. I can �t recommend the program enough. Just the right length, difficult to get offended, suits most levels. However, I am watching the Wire at the moment and I think it �s pretty damn great. If anyone has any lesson plans please pass them on as we have adult summer camps coming up and this would make a nice evening activity for them.

7 May 2011     

annelaure
France

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg9zw287_8dtmvcshp
I found that on the net, but that is a bit too hard for my students in terms of content, you might find it useful for your summer camps....
Thanks for the tip, I �ll have a look for Father Ted
why do i want to use this series, first I really really like it, and I find it easier to teach something in class when I feel enthusiastic about it, then I need to talk about the US, and I find that series pretty realistic, as I said that would enable me as well to compare French / British/ American school systems...... and finally I need to work on their listening comprehension skills. 

8 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Actually, I think for an advanced group this would be a great series. I �m not always familiar with the slang they use myself but I get the gist. In my opinion, "getting the gist" is from about 30% to as high as 50% with regards comprehension when speaking a non-native language. The link you provided isn �t too bad provided one has the time to sit down and edit. Anyway, good luck with the search!

8 May 2011