Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

greni
Hungary

Help

Dear Friends,
I �d like to ask your help. I have to teach the expression �hit rock bottom �, but I can �t find the meaning anywhere.
I started using drugs when I was 10 and became an addict at 14. I �d hit rock bottom.
Maybe it means that I reached the worst condition or I had my most unpleasant exprerience...
Please, help me.
Thanks in advance.
Hugs from Hungary
Reni

12 May 2011      

douglas
United States

I believe the term comes from well drilling--hitting rock bottom is reachng the lowest possible level you can go, you can �t get lower.  In this case she was at the lowest possible point in her life (socially, etc.)

12 May 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Yes as Doug says but not sure of the well drilling!

Everybody at sometime has experienced this in their life time....!

To reach your lowest point of your life = to reach the lowest possible level or be in the worst possible situation like drug uses or people who suffer alcoholism.

before they reach the highs again.

For business this could mean a company that has seen trade hit rock bottom since our competitors have taken our customers away.
example we are a small shop selling food but Tesco has just opend up a big store nearby and we have hit rock bottom with our sales.

12 May 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Hi, dear Reni, Agree - When people  hit rock bottom, they reach a point in life where things could not get any worse.

12 May 2011     

douglas
United States

The American Heritage Dictionary of Idioms defines it as:

The lowest possible level, absolute bottom, as in Wheat prices have reached rock bottom. This idiom alludes to the presence of bedrock that prevents digging farther down. [Late 1800s]

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/rock-bottom#ixzz1M9KG7R00

(I knew it had something to do with digging or drilling--once you hit rock bottom you have to start drilling) Smile

12 May 2011     

greni
Hungary

Thanks everyone for the quick answer. It �s good to know that you can always find helpful friends here.Smile

12 May 2011