Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > song about hobbies?    

song about hobbies?

YASENYA
Turkey

song about hobbies?

I �m going to teach cleft sentences with a text about hobbies. I want to do a listening activity but I can �t find a suitable song. do you know any? Please help
thanks in advance.

12 May 2011      

IceQueeny
Russian Federation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWi8inxqGPY

12 May 2011     

annabelle1654
Germany

I just thought about "If I had a hammer"  which has a beautiful message and is kinda about hobbies. When you get to bell, You could ask what could you do with bells, answer "collect them."  Just an idea. Although I �m not sure what a cleft sentence is. haha :)

12 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

A song about hobbies with cleft sentences in it?  Well... where there �s a will, there �s a way...

If sailing �s your hobby, you might consider The Leaving of Liverpool: "It �s not the leaving of Liverpool that grieves me...etc"

If it �s a clapping, skipping, chanting, spelling song you �re looking for, how about Bingo: "There was a farmer (who) had a dog and BINGO was his name-o...etc" (a cleft with there for a wee bit of variety). This can be easily adapted.

I �d imagine All that she wants is another baby... (Ace of Base) is not the kind of hobby you might want to focus on although there�s an interesting cleft. Then again, what age are your students?

12 May 2011     

alexcure
Poland

Try here, there are lots of various songs.... http://www.agendaweb.org/

12 May 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Annabelle1654,

Taken from:

Cleft Sentences

A declarative sentence, such as David studied English at Oxford can be reformulated as:

It was David who studied English at Oxford

This is called a CLEFT SENTENCE because the original sentence has been divided (or "cleft") into two clauses: It was David and who studied English at Oxford. Cleft sentences focus on one constituent of the original sentence, placing it after it was (or it is). Here we have focussed on the Subject David, but we could also focus on the Direct Object English:

It was English that David studied at Oxford

or on the Adjunct at Oxford

It was at Oxford that David studied English

Cleft constructions, then, exhibit the pattern:

It + be + focus + clause

Les

13 May 2011     

YASENYA
Turkey

So many THANKS :)))

16 May 2011