Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Eurovision Song Contest    

The Eurovision Song Contest

almaz
United Kingdom

Why is the assumption always made that there can be only one correct/acceptable usage? I �d say both are valid. There �s no need to get all hot and bothered. Here we have a situation where the grammar might be considered to be in conflict with the meaning simply because the head ends in -s.

Personally, I agree with Natasha in this case as, in fact, do many usage guides: the singular verb is recommended with "plural noun phrases of quantity or measure" (MDWEU), an example being "ten dollars is all I have left".

Your old friend,

Norma Loquendi ; )

15 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

The go/goes thing doesn �t really interest me. What really amazes me is that people watch it in the US!!! I even considered moving there to get away from the competition when I was younger! Why would the Americans torture themselves with Eurovision? I suspect everybody in the New World is having a bloody good laugh at our expense! Actually, I watched it last night with a big group of (Spanish) ESL teachers at a house warming party. I haven �t laughed so much in years! We weren �t so concerned with the acts as with the people giving out the points! Did anybody notice the woman giving out Azerbaijan �s points? She had us crying with laughter! I �ll be sure to watch it again next year. It �s so strange how our tastes in entertainment change over the years!

15 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Compared to the usual output on Spanish TV, Eurovision is a beacon of sophistication.

By the way, who won? I find it difficult to watch telly through my fingers.

15 May 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I agree it could mean the mark of 10 points goes to...
But who am I to say what is right or wrong to the native speakers.
Sophia

15 May 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

I know what you mean about Spanish TV. I was watching Braveheart a few years back and they had an advert break on for 30 minutes!!!! Anyway, Azerbaijan was the winner last night. I shall watch the artists � careers with interest ...not!

15 May 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Eurovision doesn�t even get a mention downunder.  The only thing I remember about Eurovision is that Abba came to fame there with Waterloo and never looked back.

I listened to the local footy match on the radio this arvo and they didn�t get within cooee (they�re especially for you Mariannina) of using go/goes.  However, considering Marion�s point maybe it �s a bit of ellipsis.

15 May 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Thank you Jayho, I appreciate it! I like cooee because of its Aboriginal origin.
Hugs

15 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2