Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Has/have got Vs has/have    

Has/have got Vs has/have

Zora
Canada

Very true Kevin... that�s why I am not overly fanatical about correcting every little mistake my students make...only the really huge stuff... I had to learn Spanish from scratch at the age of 15 (I moved to Spain at that age and didn�t speak a word of the language... ) so I know the difficulties that a learner of a new language can have. I figure that the more they speak, write and read, the better they will become. It�s a learning process and things take time. Besides, if you point out every little mistake, you only cause the student to become self-conscious...

Smile

16 Dec 2008     

yingying
China

Thanks to everybody. The sentence pattern without "s"  is actually the example I find in one of the worksheets I used recently in school. But when marking my students� work, I just wondered whether there should be the possessive form. Now, I get a clearer picture. Thanks again. Greeting from Hong Kong and have a great week.

16 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Here�s a better example:

Notice: "I got you babe"
and "We don�t have a pot"
and "I�ve got you to hold my hand"

16 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Okay, if we must cite sources, I�ve a couple:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/have-got-grammar.aspx

Now on to my Grammar books: (since my "Canadianess" isn�t obviously enough...)

- Practical English Grammar by Oxford University Press - Okay...nothing is said specifically about "Have got" only it is noted in the "have as an ordinary verb"  page. 109, 119... (direct quote) "When there is not this idea of habit, the "have got" forms are more USUAL in England, though other English speaking countries (notably America) use the "do" forms here also...

English Grammar in Use - Cambridge University Press - Page 301, Appendix  7  - Nothing is mentioned before this to if one is not used, there is only the following...

(British ) Have got is an alternative to Have  //  (American) Have got = Have (as in British English)

Mayhaps, I need to bring out my scribblers and grammar books I used at school??

"Have got" is used in both countries, in England perhaps more than America but it is erroneous to say that one country does not use a form when in fact they do.

16 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hey Zora,

I agree with you on the - not correcting for corrections sake - It really is discouraging for beginners to be corrected.  Especially when you have just managed to construct a sentence in your head and are half way through getting it out.

I believe there are huge gains to be made in 2nd language acquisition if a student is left to speak, speak, speak.  Give structure and then give opportunity to speak, speak speak It is all about speaking! 

16 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yeah, I know Vickii Smile... I had people correcting me ALL the time when I was in school here in Spain and I got to the point that I was afraid to open my mouth in case I said something wrong. I know it was a silly fear, but constant correction is not a good thing - contrary to what many believe. 

16 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have deleted my posts and hereon I will only quote what experts say as I do not like the way some people address others when they do not agree with them.

I am in a very busy week. That�s why I do not look for the info in my books and copy it here, but this is the same they say, what I have been taught and what the most important grammar books say.
Of course, we are not speaking of colloquial English, but "standard language", the one accepted as correct by Cambridge University among  others.

Possession

There are two forms to express possession in English. Have or Have got

Do you have a car?
Have you got a car?
He hasn�t got any friends.
He doesn�t have any friends.
She has a beautiful new home.
She�s got a beautiful new home.

While both forms are correct (and accepted in both British and American English), have got (have you got, he hasn�t got, etc.) is generally the preferred form in British English while most speakers of American English employ the have (do you have, he doesn�t have etc.)

Ditto

17 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Tere-arg & everyone else!

Please don�t be upset by the tone you perceive in the messages above. One of the beauties of a forum like this is that everyone can state their opinion and provide support to validate that opinion if they desire.

When it comes down to standard English my belief is that it would be more appropriate to say �standard Englishes� as there are now dictionaries and style guides for several different dialects of English. I know that there are  references for American, British, Canadian and Australian Englishes just for starters! This means that the examples quoted by many people above can be supported from many different sources. Isn�t that wonderful! Language constantly changes, so style and grammar are not set in concrete - over time things change for so many reasons.

The important thing, as we are all teaching students, is to provide consistent internationally accepted standards. This can sometimes be awkward (I�m Australian and teach English in Japan where the texts are primarily American English with a few British ones thrown in) so I am constantly having to review my expression when teaching.

Hope you don�t mind the meandering thoughts. I really enjoy learning (& relearning) every time I look at the discussions here.

Cheers,
B-)

18 Dec 2008     

Bernardo Manuel
Algeria

Possession

There are two forms to express possession in English. Have or Have got

Do you have a car?
Have you got a car?
He hasn�t got any friends.
He doesn�t have any friends.
She has a beautiful new home.
She�s got a beautiful new home.

While both forms are correct (and accepted in both British and American English), have got (have you got, he hasn�t got, etc.) is generally the preferred form in British English while most speakers of American English employ the have (do you have, he doesn�t have etc.)

BMC

9 Jan 2009     

wiostahi
Peru

Even dough both are acceptable it is better to  introduce the "have" rather than "have got" first because it is often to get our students confused while learning "simple present tense" so having "have" at first makes things a lot easier( talking about explaining simple present structure)  then we could teach"have got" as a possible second way.

LOL:)

26 Jan 2009     

< Previous   1    2