Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What would say this is ?    

What would say this is ?

alien boy
Japan

G �day!
Main differences tend to be in shape, accessories & purpose.
I �m used to the following distinctions:

a common flask (this one is a vacuum flask) as distinct from something from a science lab. They are designed to hold hot or cold liquids of varying sorts - water, soup, coffee, tea.. whatever you can think of (but not usually strong alcohol)! They are often insulated to maintain heat/cold and can be quite decorative - kids often have cute ones over here featuring all sorts of anime characters.  Because of their designs they are commonly seen around town.  They usually have a cup or mug as an accessory and come in sizes from 1-2 cups volume to several litres!
I use this sort of thing on family picnics, school excursions & sometimes when doing catering.

hip flask (I always take one full of cognac or good scotch whisky when I go hiking!)

A hip flask is generally fairly small (so it can be carried at one �s hip in a pouch, for example) and is designed to carry strong liquor. They don �t often come with drinking cups as standard items.

a canteen! 

A canteen is designed to be slung from a belt & is used when travelling - usually in rough country areas, not towns or cities. They are designed to be strong & portable. They don�t often have cups as part of their standard accessories. They are usually (but not always) designed for 1 person to carry & use. (I sometimes use one of these when hiking & camping)

Cheers,
AB

19 May 2011     

douglas
United States

USA usage:

your picture-- a canteen

Nebal�s pic-- a jerry can or gas can (or canister)

AB �s first picture-- a thermos

AB �s second pic-- a flask or hip flask

Funny, I used to have a canteen that looked just like AB�s.

19 May 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

@ AB and Douglas

Thank you so much, I am not pretty sure but now I think the word canteen will be the right one for the purpose and the most suitable either for the clipart I have or to the aim it will beused to.

Thanks a lot, you �ve helped me a lot.

Hugs
Linda

19 May 2011     

< Previous   1    2