Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammar.net?    

Grammar.net?

almaz
United Kingdom

Grammar.net?

This has been doing the rounds recently. What do you, as English teachers, think of it?

18 May 2011      

maryse pey�
France

hi dear in grammar as in real life there are what we usually call �false friends � or �traitors in meanings �. You are a TRUE friend ! thanks for sharing : this kind of tool is always useful.

Plenty of hugs dear.

Maryse.

18 May 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Thanks for your help.
Yolanda

18 May 2011     

yanogator
United States

Another common one is "disinterested", which doesn �t mean "not interested", as most people think. It means "unbiased" or "objective".

Bruce

18 May 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Much ado about nothing and not even correct if you ask me.

For some words both definitions apply. BTW, it�s not just about outdated dictionary definition, the makers of this confusing chart should have looked at contemporary usage as well.

19 May 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Interesting... it shows a real difference between prescriptive & descriptive grammars if you ask me!

19 May 2011     

johanne23232
Israel

I have to agree with Philip, that the chart isn �t entirely exact and �overdone �.

19 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Absolutely, Philip. Both enormity and fulsome, for example, can have both definitions ( �disputed � in some dictionaries but still accepted). It �s also implied that unique can �t be modified which, of course, is the wrong approach to a word which has also had the meaning of unusual for nearly two centuries (see Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage). 

Oh, it �s definitely prescriptive, but it �s not grammar, Jim. The chart deals with discrete lexical items and their definitions although the website grammar.net insists "it�s all about grammar."

19 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ahh... Can somebody explain the difference to little ole moi between "to have a lot of something" and a "superabundance"?

My dictionary says quite literally-  plethora: a very large amount or number : an amount that is much greater than what is necessary.

And here I �m thinking "semantics" .. "a lot of" could be "a superabundance". Heck, I �d use "a lot of" when trying to explain in layman �s term plethora to my students.

BTW, "literally" could be used as a modifier/intensifier...

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/literally

19 May 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Zora, 

Super here means �above �, �beyond �, �over � etc (ie excessive or �greater than what is necessary �). 

Of course literally is an intensifier.

19 May 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ahh, twas sarcasm my dear Alex. I do know what the prefix "super" means. Wink I just meant that "a normal person" not us "language experts" (not too serious with that comment) might say "Oh my, I think, well, plethora means to have a lot of something, ya know, lots and lots.."

19 May 2011     

1    2    Next >