Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What´s the correct way?    

What´s the correct way?

Belusa
Argentina

What´s the correct way?

Who can tell me what�s grammatically correct?
we know where good and evil stands
we know where good and evil stand
PLs let me know thanks :)

16 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

Both are correct actually...but...

Well, the first one would mean... "we know where good and evil are standing" in a literal sense, if good and evil were two separate entities or beings...

The other "we know where good and evil stand"... would mean we know their opinion/stance on things and here, we are refering to good and evil in an abstract, non-countable, way... 

16 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Ahh... thanks... Embarrassed  I enjoy helping out if I can Silke... and well, if I can�t then hopefully somebody else here like goodnesses can...

16 Dec 2008     

eaglestar
Philippines

Hi Belusa,

This is how I see it:

If we follow correct subject-verb agreement, it�s ideally:

We know where good and evil stand.

...because good and evil are two singular subjects joined by "and", so they should agree with the plural form of the verb which is stand.

Thanks,
C2H5

16 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , Zora and all dear colleagues out there.

According to my humble knowledge, " �and� is a copulative conjunction" when used to join two noun to form a subject verb the verb should have a plural agreement (as c2h5 mentioned) with this subject whatever the noun before and after "and" is; singular or plural.

eg:
-The pupil and the teacher don�t manage to agree on some class rules.
-The pupils and the teacher don�t manage to agree on some class rules.
-The pupils and the teachers don�t manage to agree on some class rules.

So,
"We don�t know where good and evil stand."

16 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Okay, there is one obscure rule to subject - verb agreement - and this is why to me the first sentence was also correct in my opinion...

*When the parts of the subject combine to form a single item.

Correct: One and one equals two.

Correct: Cookies and cream is my favorite flavor.

To me "good and evil" are two sides to the same coin that was why I also considered the first one correct but with a different meaning.

16 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Sorry to contradict you Zora.

Yes your 1st example is correct but the verb here does not agree with "one and one" but with the action that is not openly expressed. I think the sentence goes actually as follows: "Adding/putting/assembling/gathering... one and one equals two"

Yes your second sentence is correct but the verb doesn�t agree with cookies and cream but with favorite flavor.
Your sentence would be "My favorite flavor is cookies and cream."

Now, can we say?
A car and a bike is a means of transport.
John and Mike runs in the park everyday.

17 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Here�s one website that has the example I got this off of goodnesses - it�s near the end.  http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000026.htm

Also: this website point 11. Compound Subjects.

http://www.zianet.com/jkline/u3svagr.htm

17 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Will answer in the morning goodnesses.. got a horrible cold .. and the answer to one of your question is yes "A car and a bike is a means of transport." could be in fact correct... they are closely related in idea... although normally, we�d probably put the verb as "are" form here...

17 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Yes Zora.
I said your sentences are correct but I quote "A compound subject whose parts are joined by and takes a singular verb in two special instances.

1. When the parts of the subject combine to form a single item.

17 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

I misread goodness, sorry... like I said, I have a cold and my head isn�t quite functioning properly... Confused

Now... I am lost as to what the point was since we both agree on those points... LOL

17 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >