Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Preparing students for job interviews    

Preparing students for job interviews

colibrita
United Kingdom

Preparing students for job interviews

Hi Everyone

Can anyone give me some nice fresh ideas for preparing students for job interviews. What would be the best ingredients for an effective one-day course?

Thank you!

Colibrita

21 May 2011      

MapleLeaf
Canada

The student might get aware of some common blunders during the interview:
1. My alarm clock didn �t go off
2. Sorry, I haven �t had time to google it yet.
3. I single-handedly doubled my company �s profit last year ( too good to be true)
4. The salary minefield ( especially right now it �s a real a turnoff when a candidate is looking for a big compensation) Honestly, that was my blunder :)
5. My last boss was such a jerk
6.You mean this not a therapy session? (the ablity to separate a personal life from a work life)
7. Ramblin � on ( self-centered)
8. I don �t really have any weaknesses
9. desparation ( chin up and sell yourself as a top-quality candidate)

21 May 2011     

Apodo
Australia

@ MapleLeaf LOL!

I did a Google search for: prepare for job interview examples
There are many sites. Here is an example which has some good tips:

There are also some examples on Youtube.

21 May 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I prepare my students for job interviews and I normally teach them the top questions that they may be asked at a job interview.   You can find these on the net.  I go through some of the questions with them and coach them on giving the proper answer.
I give them the name of a company where they will be applying for a job and ask them to be prepared to go on an interview pertaining to their specific job. I usually chose a company where you will find all types of employment.
I give them the necessary vocabulary especially vocabulary for strengths and weaknesses, and tell them how to apply a weakness into something that will not be negative.
After I prep them, they work on answers that they will give for their particular job interview.
I then tape each student during the interview and then discuss and show them the interview.
I find taping them really helps because they then can see certain things they may not be aware of, such as moving too much in a chair, not looking directly at the interviewer etc.

21 May 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Colibrita,

Some time ago, I prepared an easy, two-page, black & white Worksheet, with 100 tick-boxes, to assist Students to decide what type of job suited them.  It makes them think about themselves, and their future.  It �s not a Job Interview Form.

It �s called: "Questions about my Life and my Career".  At the conclusion, after answering the questions, the student has thought about the sort of work he/she likes,  and has decided on a suitable career.

If you wish, I will e-mail you a copy.

Les 

21 May 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi dear Les !  I would like a copy ... Thank you !!

21 May 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your tips! Les, I �ll PM you...

Hugs

Colibrita

21 May 2011