Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > teaching approaches and learning theories    

teaching approaches and learning theories

r.a.i.n
Saudi Arabia

teaching approaches and learning theories

Hi to everone of you in this great site,
 Can any one give me a site about
(( teaching approaches and learning theories ))
I want it to be clear coz� I searched but couldn�t find a clear one ( I mean to the point ).

I hope that my request is clear.

help me please

BIG THANKS IN ADVANCE  Big smile Hug

16 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

which particular teaching approach or learning theory would you like?  or do you want a site with a broad range of approaches and theories?

16 Dec 2008     

annaas
Norway

I like these  Graphic Organizers:

16 Dec 2008     

r.a.i.n
Saudi Arabia

Thank you so much for responding to me,
beautiful sites annaas

Vickii  I want to know how many theories are there & what are they?

and how many teaching approaches & what are they?

I found 14 approaches but I feel there is something wrong

THANKS FOR CARING  Smile

16 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi rain,

There are 3 main schools of thought. all of the other theories tend to connected to one of these.  That makes it a bit more simple to look at when you are starting out.   I will cover the major influences for you:

Every teachers saving grace:  behaviourism- this gives you quick results - but does not inspire a love of learning.  This is your behaviour management schemes, rewards, consequences, etc. all taken straight from skinner and pavlov with a bit of watson thrown in. http://www.infed.org/biblio/learning-behavourist.htm ; also a good article pointing out the cons... http://www.nardavies.demon.co.uk/neil/TroubBehave.html

My first love - cognitive thoery - this is your piaget etc, how does the brain work, use schemata�s to help students understand what they are learning, tell students what they are learning and why  - http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/AS/264.htm; The only downside to using this sort of theory is that it takes a lot of hardwork and dedication on the teachers part and can take time to set up.  This also includes your cooperative teaching strategies - which I love to use!

Person centered / humanistic - this is your - why do we need assessment? theorists, the child as the teacher, taking control of your own learning, understanding the childs learning style etc.  I use to think this was all a load of feel good nonsense - but I had a fantastic lecturer (Pamela) who really showed me how it could be effective.  you need to really understand it to apply properly otherwise it can be taken as a bit flakey - I for one am a complete convert when it is understood and used properly! http://www.garysturt.free-online.co.uk/human.htm

I use a combination of all three when working with children with significant behaviour problems.  Once I have the children onboard I drop the behavior theory and concentrate more on the cognitive theory with a big dollop of the person centered.  I uploaded this management plan for someone else who wanted it - is a bit wordy but it may help see the practical side of these theories. http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=141586#thetop - note I have not connected them back to the theorists but can if you need it.

I know someone will probably disagree but I think you will find that most �popular� theories of teaching will fit under the umbrella of one of the theories above. 

I hope this is helpful for you.
Vicki

16 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

There is also co-operative learning which is exciting.
L

16 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

and would fall under the umbrella of cognitive theory as stated above.

17 Dec 2008     

r.a.i.n
Saudi Arabia

Vicki YOU ARE A GREAT TEACHER

Thank you so much you helped me a lot

libertybette thanks but isn�t co-operative learning part of teaching strategies, like brain storming and problem solving

THANK YOU ALL, YOU REALLY HELPED AND BIG THANKS TO THOSE WHO SENT ME PRIVATE Messages dealing with the same topic

if you have exta information feel free to tell me. Smile 

p.s what about teaching approaches? 
I found 14 methods e.g: the grammar translation method, the direct method , etc, Confused 

17 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I have a pdf on cooperative learning if you want it - just email me.

17 Dec 2008     

r.a.i.n
Saudi Arabia

hi again Vickii
 I sent u a private message

Thanks Heart

17 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

I am joining this late, but what particular aspect of language learning are you wondering about?

There are the two main fields of first language acquisition and then a separate study of 2nd language acquisition.

Vicki is, I think, describing 1st language acquisition whilst you may be more interested in 2nd language. 

I do not know of specific web sites dealing with these issues, as I studied them long before the internet had been created.  I still have my lecture notes on these theories which I will gladly share if you want them.

18 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >