Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you use the word "stroppy" for, to describe what kind of person? Do you know any synonyms?    

What do you use the word "stroppy" for, to describe what kind of person? Do you know any synonyms?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

What do you use the word "stroppy" for, to describe what kind of person? Do you know any synonyms?

I would be very grateful if you made this clear for me. Thanks in advance
Yolanda

7 Jun 2011      

mariamit
Greece

A stroppy person is someone who gets annoyed easily. He/she is bad-tempered and may take offense at the slightest provocation. It is a word that�s usually used informally. For more formal words you can use �cantankerous, belligerent, irascible�; for more informal words try �crabby, bolshie or testy�

7 Jun 2011     

Mehlika Sultan
Moldova

hi it �s used in informal language or speech. it describes  a rude, angry or unpleasant person
syn: stubborn, obstinate, unregenerate hope it �ll help

7 Jun 2011     

joy2bill
Australia

Actually I disagree. I think of stroppy as more feisty. Someone who has a lot of get up and go...not necessarily at the right time however.  The kind of person who calls a spade a spade, as the expression goes! I wouldn �t use it as a synonym for belligerent nor for angry. A stroppy person knows what they want and they make sure you know about it, too. Many students are stroppy but they are not unpleasant. Sorry if I disagree with the dictionary.

7 Jun 2011     

Disappointed
United Kingdom

Sorry but joy2bill is way off the mark when it comes to the definition of "stroppy".. The correct definition is: Someone who is easily offended or annoyed; ill-tempered or belligerent.  But really, all you have to do is look in a dictionary to see that for yourself.

I do think as teachers we have a responsibility to be teaching our students the "true" meanings of words and owe it to ourselves to use them in the correct way as well whenever possible.

7 Jun 2011     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

I wonder if there �s a difference in the meaning of the word in the two countries.  I �d agree with disappointed...but then I �m English.  I �d be interested to see if anyone else would use joy2bill �s meaning.

7 Jun 2011     

mariamit
Greece

Well I �m American and I learnt it the way I defined it. I didn �t need to look it up in the dictionary. "Stroppy" is bad-tempered or easily annoyed. I �d really like to hear what others think, though.

7 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Yolanda,

I think that it is possible that the word "stroppy" has different meanings in different English-speaking countries.

The Oxford English Dictionary gives --- "British, informal: bad-tempered and argumentative".

The Chambers Thesaurus: Stroppy (ADJECTIVE): bad-tempered; difficult; unhelpful; unco-operative; perverse; awkward; bloody-minded; quarrelsome; rowdy; cantankerous; obstreperous; FORMAL: refractory COLLOQUIAL: bolshie; ratty; shirty.    

For what it is worth, I have never heard it used with any other meaning than this, in the UK.

Les

7 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Sorry Disappointed - I �m  in agreeance with Joy2Bill and no, she is not way off mark as you have �not so politely� indicated.  I don �t know why you think that the British meaning is the �true � meaning.  British English does not rule the world.

Our Australian National Dictionary defines it as someone who is "rebellious and difficult to control; awkward;and complaining", just as Joy described it.  As you can see, this is nowhere near the British definition despite our British roots.

English is a growing language and I do think as teachers we have a responsibility to be teaching our students that meanings of words can have different meanings in different parts of the world.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Jun 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I just asked you because I have two friends who are British and American native speakers and didn �t  agree with/ on? meaning. The British told me what most of you and the dictionary says but the American said something similar to joy2bill.
Thanks for your help anyway
Yolanda

7 Jun 2011     

bluebe-RR-y
Ukraine

Can you share the site where you got the following?

feist�y (fst)
adj. feist�i�er, feist�i�est
1. Touchy; quarrelsome.
2. Full of spirit or pluck; frisky or spunky.

7 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >