Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Where did you learn English? Thanks for responding    

Where did you learn English? Thanks for responding

edrodmedina
United States

Where did you learn English? Thanks for responding

I �d like to thank everyone who answered the question "Where (and how)did you learn English?". All the answers, even those where the writer thought were mundane, I found fascinating. I have always been fascinated by language and wish I had learned many more languages. My life isn �t over so it �s never too late to learn. Anyone who would care to share their experience may do so. Here is a link to the responses to the question: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=28817  I look forward to hearing some more stories. Native speakers are welcome to share especially if they �ve learned other languages or have attempted to learn other languages. Thanks again. Ed

7 Jun 2011      

juliag
Japan

Glad you opened this post again, Ed. I was just reading the responses after mine now that I have finished teaching for the day and was thinking how nice it would be to hear even more stories...

and lo and behold I come back to the main page and you have reposted it! Perfect. Thank you.

7 Jun 2011     

Mabdel
Morocco

Amazing thread as always dear Ed.
My mother tongue is Berber( Tamazight), Arabic is my second language and of course here in Morocco we start learning French in primary schools.English is my fourth language.
We start studying English in high schools at the age of 15.
But my love story with English started before that age thanks to my elder sister who liked it very much and she kept repeating the role plays and dialogues, the lessons.... she had in the classroom when she came home.
Since then I loved it and tried to improve it by listening to English songs, watching movies, programs,.....
This my story. looking forward to hear more....
Best regards.

7 Jun 2011     

class centre
Belarus

I have just read the stories. So interesting! So different! As for me, I have been always interested in languages. My grandmother was jewish. My native language  is Russian. So, at my age of 6-7 I used to ask my granny how to say in idish ( european jews language) this or that word. It was a kind of a foreign language to me. She used to sing jewish songs to me. I even made a list with translations into russian. Also, I remember having an uncle who had been studying English at University. I was amazed by his reading in English. It sounded so nice!  At the age of 6 I composed a letter for him ( he was very handsome) using a russian-english dictionary. Believe it or not but I remember what was in the letter - you very good! when you visit us? etc.
Then my dear mother sent me to a specialized English school, after which I studied Spanish< French AND English at University. Now I have my own private school where I teach English to children and use my childhood memories to understand my sts better.

7 Jun 2011     

Mariethe House
France

What interesting stories! And very touching at the same time! Ed you are the King of communication! Smile Always finding topics to get the best out of ourselves! Thank you dear friend! ( If i may say so!!)
 Well, how did I learn English, ?
Through love of course! Only love could have helped me through the meanders of that complicated language!LOL Well, I fell in love with a handsome Englishboy and he asked me to marry him! And the mayor who married us,  said  I had to follow my husband wherever he went and do as he told me to do. So i did not have much choice when he asked me to go and live in England and I signed up at a teachers  training college and studied there for 3 years . that �s where I learned English: Studying and living in an English- speaking country. Iloved it and i became a teacher and taught for a year there and then I decided ( did not ask the mayor what he thought about it!LOL)to come and live in France again as the teaching conditions in France were so much better .....at the time!!!

7 Jun 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Like Mariethe, I also fell in love with a handsome English speaking guy... but he did not ask me to marry him! I was about 12 or 13 years old when I saw Prince Valiant in a movie. He was Robert Wagner - the American actor the oldies like me must remember.  I was absolutely sure than I would marry him some day so I simply had to learn his language.  As simple as that.  At that time I changed schools and my new English teacher was really great.  I was far behind all the other kids but she encouraged me and praised my progress and, with Elvis Presley �s and Frank Sinatra �s help I soon learned the new language.  I did not go to UCLA like �my" Prince Valiant but finished my studies in a SUNY college.

7 Jun 2011     

SaraMariam
United States

I just saw the thread, Ed, really an interesting topic! Thanks so much for bringing it up :) and for everybody else to share some incredible stories!

7 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Ed,

Thank you for introducing such an interesting topic.

I am a native English speaker, born in the north-east of England, with a Scottish mother, and a father from the English-Scottish Border.

You may think that I had no problems with English, but the reverse is the case.  Tyneside, where I live, was an extremely poor, working-class district, where everyone spoke �Geordie�, (and still do).  This is a strong dialect, related to Norse.

My father was unemployed, with seven children, and he did not obtain work until I was 8 years� old, so life was difficult.

I passed a Scholarship Exam and went to Gateshead Grammar School.  Walking to and from school, I wore my school uniform hat, which was all that my father could afford.  I was pelted with stones, because I was a �Grammar school snob�.  At school, I was bullied, because I was �poor� and did not �talk properly�.  Outside of school, I soon began to put my hat in my pocket.

At school, (among other subjects), I studied English, and also French, which I loved, (although I never owned a Dictionary).  When I left school, I passed the Matriculation Examination, with a Credit in 8 Subjects, including English and French.  Many of the bullies failed!

I began work in a Quantity Surveyor�s office where I met Architects and Professional Clients.  Immediately, I had to begin �speaking properly�.  It took really hard work on my part to stop saying: �Me Mam and me Dad�, and say: �My mother and my father�, and also �Give me, please�, instead of �Giz�, and similar �Geordie� phrases.

A very nice Lady, called Queen Elizabeth, asked me if I would help her, and in return, she gave me an ill-fitting khaki uniform.  She paid for me to have a 2-year holiday in Germany, and paid for my journey there, so I bought a book: �Hugo�s German in 3 Months�.  I think that it was very good value, because, after 2 weeks, I had taught myself sufficient German to buy a pair of socks in a shop.  I liked Germany, and the language, so much that I stayed there for almost 2 years with several other Englishmen, (who also wore khaki uniforms).

When I returned to England, I passed my exams and became a Professional Quantity Surveyor.  Unfortunately, I was made redundant, so I began to teach myself other languages, while working at different jobs to make money.  I had been on the stage for most of my adult life, as a classical singer, actor, and magician, so I entertained in restaurants, performing in different languages.  Apart from English, French and German, I had added Hindi/Urdu, then Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Greek, etc. and later a little Russian and Cantonese.  At one time, I could converse in10 languages, but you need constant practice to retain fluency.

Because I had studied Education and Teaching, I was engaged by my local College as an ESOL Teacher.  I continued my study of language and English up to Master�s Level.  I wanted to do a Doctorate, but ill-health and home circumstances prevented it.

Someone remarked that English people don�t learn foreign languages.  In the ESOL Staff-room where I work, in the UK, there are about 30 foreign languages spoken, by English natives.  That is in just one Department of the College.  At University, my daughter studied French, German, and Hebrew.

I have found the stories of language-learning fascinating.

I thank the other teachers most sincerely for their great compliment in learning English.

Les

7 Jun 2011     

Tecus
Hungary

It �s so exciting that going different ways but we all ended up loving the English language and teaching it. I used to be a teacher of Russian but with the changes in Hungary at the end of the 1980s, I had to start to learn English at the age of about 35, with two little children, a teachingt job and a husband who had to have a second job too to make ends meet. One day I was doing my English homework but I had a million other things to do as well, and I started crying. My husband came up to me and comforting me said that I had to find something that makes me love the language, something that makes me look forward to every minute I spend learning it, dealing with it.  This is why I enjoy your stories so much, because in each of them there is this love, obsession, devotion. What I miss is the early exposure to the language but I �m trying to make up for it in every possible way. Although I am not a �forum type �, I learn a lot from you from your questions, answers, discussions. Thanks to all of you!

7 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hello Ed,

As some of you already know, I moved to Spain when I was a teenager, and because it was in the middle of the school year, I had to finish my school year in Spain. I was basically thrown to the wolves as I didn �t know any Spanish. It �s not an experience that I would recommend to anyone since in the end, I ended up failing the year and had to repeat it. This was devastating for me because in Canada, I was an A student, and failing like that was a blow to my teenage ego. Also, I had to deal with learning two languages at once, since the area I am in has Castilian (better known as Spanish, Spanish) and Galician � a dialect that is very similar to Portuguese. (The main reason I can understand written and spoken Portuguese.)

It was slow going at first, because I tried to distinguish always between the two languages and not mix them up like many people do in this region. Television, books and comic books were my friends. They helped me a lot. And after a while, I became fluent in both languages. Although, I honestly can �t say that I speak Galician anymore because I have made a conscious choice to speak Spanish and has Les pointed out � if you don �t use a language, you lose fluency.

Now, you might think that a native teacher doesn �t have to learn "English"� But I am sure that many of the native teachers here can tell you that that isn �t quite true. When you start teaching English on such a precise level, you really need to relearn your language. I �m not talking about speaking or writing. I �m talking about the whole new world out there of new vocabulary, grammar tenses and linguistic oddities that I had never considered before I started teaching. In fact, I have a very low opinion of native teachers now that use the old excuses "because it �s that way", "it just is...", etc. (To me, this is somebody who hasn �t bothered to take an interest in their language and is just teaching to make a quick buck...)
Nothing, and I mean nothing, is ever "just because"... Things have a reason... and upon learning those reasons, I became fascinated with my own language. In fact, I am fascinated by languages in general... Although not on a spoken level necessarily. I am fascinated by how languages work and how they are put together grammatically. I guess that �s why I enjoy English grammar so much.

7 Jun 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I learned English at school. I started learning at the age of eleven.

Before that, I learned some from my older brother and sister.

After that, I have learned more from lyrics of pop songs and from TV (we have subtitles, not dubbing).

Later on, I learned more from my students - looking for answers to their questions, mostly (they started learning earlier, using different books, were exposed to English even more than we were at their age).

I �ve learned a lot from the Internet.

I learned to respond quickly and to reply quickly and write and use everyday expressions using ICQ, MSN etc., chatting to people.

I �m still learning - from the Internet and TV, mostly and I find myself looking for explanations of things that intrigue me - "Is that right or wrong?" "Do people actually say that?" etc. etc.

I �m sure I �ve forgotten t lea one thing, one more way of learning. 

7 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >