Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Do you buy your books?    

Do you buy your books?

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

Do you buy your books?

Dear fellow teachers,

I was wondering do you buy the books you use?In Greece publishing companies give to school owners the books for free. They actually send to foreign language schools all their material for free. Most of them provide teachers with their books free of charge. Is it the same for you?

7 Jun 2011      

olaola
Italy

Yes, it is

7 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

do you mean they actually provide all of your ss with books free of charge?
Where I live the distributors give us one teacher �s pack per each order for free. But the thing is we have a lot more teachers who need those packs to teach. So I usually use the electronic version to prepare for my classes.
BTW in my school (though it �s a public school and education in my country is presumably free of charge) the parents give money to the school to buy English textbooks. The ss can �t write in their workbooks because we reuse them for the next grades. So they only give money twice: at the beginning of primary school and then when they go to elementary school (though this also changes if the school decides to switch to a different book) and we rotate the s �s books and workbooks till they �re "out of shape".
Sophia

7 Jun 2011     

AHHA
Belarus

In Belarusian schools the situation is pretty much the same as in Ukrainian schools. Every year we get books, but they are not the books we actually need. The thing is that I work in gymnasia, and we have more hours to study English than secondary schools. But we also have a big problem: they don �t publish special books for gymnasias, and they don �t allow us to use foreign textbooks.

7 Jun 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Then it �s very different, Anna ;) We are actually ENCOURAGED by the local Education authorities to use Express Publishing, Oxford University Press or Macmillan textbooks. 
Sophia

7 Jun 2011     

LILIAAMALIA
Greece

Children in Greece don �t have to buy their English books for public school,at least until they finish junior high school;but al children go to afternoon private schools to learn English and those books they buy.They cost from about 60 to 140Euros and they buy new books every year no matter whether they �ve done everything in them or not.

Do you know that Express Publishing is Greek?

8 Jun 2011     

manonski (f)
Canada

Oh boy! Public schools here have to buy manuals and sometimes we ask students to buy workbooks they can write in.
Every year, publishers send me samples of their books.  They �re too expensive for my own school budget so I don �t use any and create my own units.

8 Jun 2011     

Gerardina
Costa Rica

Most of the teachers working in public schools in Costa Rica have to buy everything. We get some sample books from publishers, but many of our students cannot afford to buy them so we use some books as reference or we just make our own materials. Even thought, we don�t have books our educational system is good.

This webpage has been really useful for me and my collogues. The materials teachers created and shared here is very useful. I also like to read the forum. You give really good suggestions and ideas. The members of www.eslpritables.com are really nice people and great professionals.

8 Jun 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

As for our schools they are different. I �am a 14year -old -girl �s mother and every year buy some books because programs are changing constantly and new textbooks appear every year. Nobody asks us if we have money or not. As for being a teacher I work in educational centry ( a kind of gymnasia) and we use Express Publishing and Oxford University Press for speaking and reading and our parents buy all the books for their children. It �s nice that a child can write in the own wookbook and explore the own book.

8 Jun 2011