Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I ´ m BEAUTIFUL!    

I ´ m BEAUTIFUL!

phil niro
Japan

I ´ m BEAUTIFUL!

Dearest Teachers,

I would like to solicit your reaction about the expression "I am beautiful." Does this expression connote gender orientation ? Is it appropriate for a boy/  teenager  to say " I am beautiful."? Is it appropriate response for the question  HOW ARE YOU TODAY?

Another point of clarification is about simple conversation  "HOW ARE YOU TODAY?"
Is it common to respond in these expressions : I �M EXCELLENT, FANTASTICS, WONDERFUL, PERFECT .....?  I was puzzled when a teacher started a class with this set up as her ice breaker with an intention of building up a positive classroom atmosphere.

Please give me more enlightenment about this .......Looking forward to hearing from you all guys !

Thank you.

10 Jun 2011      

pilarmham
Spain

I may be wrong, but "beautiful" sounds feminine to me. Beauty is wonderful, but so is humility. How can one say that one is beautiful, I wonder? One can only try to be something, who can say one is wonderful, excellent, fantastic...? On the other hand, I think this is a great way to make students question themselves

10 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Phil. I agree with Pilar, "beautiful" does sound inappropriate for boys. But I think it �s perfectly acceptable to say: "I �m fantastic/excellent/wonderful... etc", because this is not boasting about oneself, as it is NOT describing me as a "physically", but expressing HOW I feel. So, it �s not a matter of not being humble, it is expressing your mood in that precise moment. I might not be beautiful physically, but I can feel "great"! Wink   And, feeling great can be "seen" as we transmit to others how we feel, therefore it IS a good idea to use as an ice-breaker, and it does  help create a positive atmosphere in the classroom... try it!!!
Lots of hugs, dear Pilar!!!Hug

Do I make sense, Phil? Or did I confuse you more?!?!? LOL

10 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Yes beautiful is usually refers to girls/women while handsome is used for men. Having said that, I �ve heard women say that a guy was beautiful and I �ve heard people say that she �s a handsome woman (usually referring to a woman of a certain age).

10 Jun 2011     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

Hey, just to add my two pence worth - I �d say that �I am beautiful � is never an appropriate response to question �How are you? �
I �d also agree with edrodmedina about the fact that you can use beautiful for men and handsome for women under certain circumstances.  I don �t know if others agree but I �d say you can use handsome to describe a woman who isn �t maybe beautiful or pretty but who is �striking � and has a je ne sais quoi which isn �t quite beauty! And, personally, I �d use beautiful to describe a man who was a just TOO good-looking and was pretty much the embodiment of an ancient Greek God.  :) It �s not a step higher than being handsome, it �s a different kind of handsome - very classic - I could be wrong but I think that St John rivers in Jane Eyre is described as beautiful.  He �s certianly the man that came to mind for me (not thinking about the TV version, by the way, just the book!)

Anyway...hope that was helpful to someone!

11 Jun 2011