Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > reading and writing. 17 yo    

reading and writing. 17 yo

wende
Spain

reading and writing. 17 yo

Hi teachers!
I teach mainly very young learners, but I am helping a 17 yo girl with her English once a week. We �ve worked a lot on grammar and the vocabulary she learns at high school, and by now she is up to that level in that areas, but she lacks a lot of vocabulary from previous ages, which affects her reading comprehension and her writing. This summer I want to work with that, and I was wondering if you could reccomend me some good textbooks to at least have a guide and graded readings. I know she can do a lot, but even though she knows what tense or gramatical structure to use, she doesn �t know the nouns or the verbs.
Thanks in advance :D

14 Jun 2011      

Errie
Japan

Hello wende,

Maybe it �s a good idea to work with flashcards. It works for me. I have no idea about textbooks..sorry.

14 Jun 2011     

perma
Greece

hi!
That �s exactly the case with one of my students. 

I don �t think you can use any coursebook with her, as books that cover the vocabulary you need will probably be far behind her in terms of grammar and structure. 

What I do is identify the vocabulary areas we need to work on, then choose a number of words that I believe she can master at this stage and prepare worksheets for her. Sometimes I write a short text of my own with all the new words I want to teach her. Sometimes I just use pictures to match. Then I give her plenty of exrcises to put the new words in use, crosswords, fill the gaps, match words and definitions, use 2 random words together in a sentence, anything you can think of that will work with your student. I also try to make games with them, boardgames and role-plays where she �ll have to use the new vocabulary. Revision every 2-3 lessons is essential, too.

It �s always best to introduce only a few new words at a time. Also to include words that you know that she already knows, to boost her confidence. As homework you can ask her to choose those words that she finds more interesting or useful and write something with them. It can be isolated sentences or a short dialogue (more demanding).

There are plenty of vocabulary oriented worksheets here at eslp that you can use, too. 

A graded reader will help her with reading and writing, but I don �t think you can fill the gaps with it alone. 

HTH!

14 Jun 2011