Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question regarding vocabulary    

Question regarding vocabulary

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Question regarding vocabulary

Hi everybody!
In Portugal it is quite common for balconies to be closed. In Portuguese we call it "marquise" and I would like to know how to say it in English. Is it a closed balcony?
Here you have a picture so that you can know what I �m really talking about.

Thanks in advance!
Cristina

14 Jun 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

Not sure about the U.S.A but we British would say enclosed balcony.
And an enclosed verandah would normally be on ground floor to the garden.
REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

14 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

An enclosed porch would be close. Balcony in the US, as far as I know, refers to a structure that is supported in the air like the seats on the side of a theater.
Muppets in a balcony

14 Jun 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Hi Ed...an enclosed porch would be from the front door of the house in England!

14 Jun 2011     

Fallen Angel
Portugal

Hi Ed and Redbull!
I forgot to say that we also have this "thing" in flats. Well, without the door of course!!!

14 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �ve heard them referred to as �glazed window balconies � or �balcony windows � - like the galerias you see in A Coru�a.

14 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

ED - Juliet spoke to Romeo from her balcony!

14 Jun 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@ Liberty , Yes..and had she not listened to him things wouldv �e been totally different. ;-)

We have front and back porches.

14 Jun 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Here �s my POV

If it is a house/townhouse/villa/duplex/semi detached house and the enclosed section is at ground level it is an enclosed verandah (or porch).  If it is a ground floor apartment/flat with an enclosed ground level section then it is considered a balcony.

If is is raised from the ground, like first floor or higher, then it is an enclosed balcony regardless of dwelling type.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Jun 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Ed - and sometimes porches that go all the way around the house! (probably somewhere like Louisiana!! LOL)  

14 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

I think Ed �s just afraid of heights... LOL

Did you know that, curiously, in Canada - the land of snow and freezing temperatures, we don �t normally have/use an enclosed balcony?! Crazy isn �t? Spain, all hot and warm, and really no need for an enclosure and Canada, where it might be more useful, we don �t use them... Irony at it �s best! Wink

14 Jun 2011     

1    2    Next >