Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > FROM MY POINT OF VIEW?    

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW?

Poppingdale
Portugal

Am I wrong or the tone used in some of the posts above is totally inappropriate? Please, be moderate. People have the right to have doubts or even be wrong and don �t deserve to be spanked for. Chill out!!!

15 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

From my point of view, Poppindale, you �re wrong. I couldn �t spot, from where I am standing (or should I say, sitting), anything inappropriate.

Some people just have a hard time interpreting witty comments. And differentiating them from actual butt-chewing.

15 Jun 2011     

Mr Jazz
France

I couldn �t agree more, Bruna Dutra! Human nature -sigh -...

15 Jun 2011     

maikacaceres
Spain

Bruna, maybe you find some of the comments "witty" but sorry I don �t. My colleagues and people from Escuela de Idiomas have a degree in English and that �s why they are teachers (some are native and some Spanish). It �s crystal clear you can use the expression and that they are totally wrong but, as a teacher, I wouldn �t refer to other teachers as "anal retentive teachers" and other things I �ve read. (Perhaps I haven �t got a good command of English to catch "witty" comments). Thank you anyway.

15 Jun 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@ Maikacaceres I don �t think any harm was meant by the expression.  It is just an expression that is used.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe term anal retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudian psychoanalysis.

15 Jun 2011     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

@ Maika.

What would you call them then? Open-minded? From my point of view (Cool), I stick to the fact that some people and, more often than I �d care, some teachers are totally incapable of differentiating an ingeniously clever remark on life/people/whatever without taking it as some kind of offense. Maybe English gets in the way sometimes. That �s why it �s always good to have a dictionary nearby.

PS: Degreed or not, native or not, it actually is a shame when teachers (not you, from what I could get, the other teacher, the "native degreed one") impose their thoughts on language to others without any concern to whether they�re actually accurate. You see, it was you who actually came for an answer, but the teacher who actually made such statement should have been the one to search on the matter before making such a bright remark on the English language use. I only couldn�t understand why you took it personally.

15 Jun 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Well said, Nancy. I �ve heard a lot worse than �anal retentive � being aimed at fellow teachers - in more than one staffroom.

@Maika, you shouldn �t get so worked up. This an open forum: you �re bound to get disagreements and arguments and the odd, incisive/sarky comment, delivered with varying degrees of wit, venom or downright clownishness. I �m sure you �re big enough and tough enough to deal with it. Being a teacher doesn �t confer omniscience nor does it come with a halo. None of us are perfect (although I �m sure your EOI colleagues will insist that none of us is perfect : ) ) but surely it �s not a great strain, as Bruna suggests, to check a dictionary or usage guide if there �s the slightest doubt?

Enjoy the hols when they come,

Alex

(I still mean what I said about Fleming)

15 Jun 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Maikacaceres,

The Oxford English Dictionary "Point of View"; A particular attitude or way of considering a matter: "Im trying to get Matthew to change his point of view".

Some people have different attitudes about the use or misuse of language, and express it in different ways.

I am British English and I was at an International Magic Convention in England.

I had a most pleasant conversation, (in Castillian Spanish), with a Spanish Magician, who was selling Magic items.

I moved on.  I wanted to be polite, so I spoke, in Spanish, to a Spanish-speaker from a country in South America, who was also selling.  After hearing me, her first words to me were: "You are not speaking Spanish properly!"

I thought: "How not to Win Friends and Influence People!"

Les

15 Jun 2011     

Zora
Canada

(Isn �t Fleming that writer guy?! Wink )

I think Maika fails to see that "the native teacher in question" tried to pull a fast one. I mean, what he/she told you almost made me fall out of my seat. No, and I mean, no self-respecting native would have said such a thing... HE/SHE just insulted YOU by saying what they did - whether this was intentional or because they couldn �t admit that they didn �t know or were wrong, doesn �t really matter. You were told that it was wrong and then given a totally lame excuse as to why!

15 Jun 2011     

HollyHirst
United Kingdom

I don �t want to get into one here but... it may well just be me but from my experience of teaching in Spain the students used �from my point of view � very frequently...maybe too frequently probably because they were �translating � from de mi punto de vista.  I think it is quite a formal phrase and it would be more natural for me personally to use �in my view � or �in my opinion �.  I know that when I was teaching I tried to wean my students off �from my point of view � because it was often their first choice and it didn �t sound very natural repeated about 10 times in a debate or it simply didn �t feel like the natural choice for a group of teenagers having an informal discussion.  Maybe that �s where the original English teacher who said that you can �t use it was coming from...

I �m not saying the phrase is wrong, of course!  I �m just giving another opinion. I would never teach that it was wrong but I can imagine trying to convince my students not to use it quite so much!

15 Jun 2011     

< Previous   1    2    3    Next >