Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Problems with opening my wss    

Problems with opening my wss

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Problems with opening my wss

Dear colleagues,

First of all I want to express my thanks for downloading my wss and leaving such a motivating comments.

I know some of you can �t open my wss entirely. I created them using openoffice. (My laptop has been in service since March. The video card hasn �t arrived from China yet because there is a lack of it, and they have to produce it first. Since then I have been using my husband �s laptop and on this there is only openoffice.) This software is free and a newer version.I printed my wss, so they work.

What can I recommend to solve the problem?

First: you can use openoffice, as well.

Second: create a hotmail account. There is a service, with it you can open the documents. (But, of course, you have to send yourself the downloaded ws first. Wink)

Both options work. Hope it helps.

I wrote this message because I think there are some of you who didn �t write me but have this problem. It �s not an advertising, because I have enough points. I only want to help you if you have this problem and want to use my wss.

Have a great time.

Hugs,

Zsuzsapszi

21 Jun 2011      

libertybelle
United States

Dear Zsuzsapszi

I too had problems viewing the whole worksheet.
I didn �t  get a chance to write to you because of exams.

But that is one of the reasons why we all use the Word program here
and not PDF or any other program.

If you have the possibility of saving your ws on another computer that has
Word and uploading it again - you would be doing us all a favor.
I don �t really think it �s fair to expect members here to use Open Office
or any other program because, as i wrote, Word is the "official" program we use here.

best wishes
Libertybelle

ps - under rules, Victor wrote:
  • Printables must be under 500KB. They must be .doc files.

• If you are using Word 2007, take into account that your documents will be saved as .docx by default. This format is not accepted here, since not everybody can use it. Therefore you have to choose "save as word 97-2003 document", in the "save as" options.

21 Jun 2011     

jpinero
Spain

Hi Zsuzsapszi !
I love your name but I wouldn �t dare pronounce it. :)
I love your printables too!
As far as I know if you click "File", "Save as" when using Open Office one of the types you can choose to save your file is a Word Document for 97 and 2000. That is to say, a .doc file that should be fully compatible. I wondered if you chose any other old format like Word 95 or Word 6.0 and that �s why some people are having problems.
Best wishes

22 Jun 2011     

juliag
Japan

Hi Zsuzsa,

Another fan of your printables and thank you for this really helpful message.
The Hotmail option is really simple and works just as you say. I recommend it for anyone who is having these problems opening the documents.

I hope you get your computer back soon and that you have a lovely week. Hug
Julia

22 Jun 2011     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Hi.

The worksheets are lovely looking. They are nice and clear. They are not too much.

However, may I please say.... the abbreviated language, for example "fave" for favourite/favorite is confusing for students whose level is low enough to need to use these cards.

They are very nice cards indeed though. The idea and the layout really is wonderful.

Thank you.

22 Jun 2011     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

Dear jpinero,

You are right. I save my wss in .doc (save as word 97-2003 document). But unfortunately this doesn �t mean that you can see the same what I can on my computer.

Sorry, but now I don �t have the possibility to create them on WORD. I save them as it is said in the rules. I don �t try to upload .docx or heavier ones. (The system wouldn �t accept it, either.)

I wrote this post to help those who need it. Some of them wrote me a pm before and I could help them.
Hope those who want to use my wss can find a good solution.

Dear libertybelle,

I understand what you say. That �s why I recommended hotmail. I can �t solve the problem, and I don �t understand why you can �t see the same if the file is in .doc. This is not my fault, I think.

Hope in the end everybody will be satisfied.
(And hope I soon get my laptop back.)

Hugs,
Zsuzsapszi

22 Jun 2011