Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY - JUNE 25    

WORD OF THE DAY - JUNE 25

anitarobi
Croatia

WORD OF THE DAY - JUNE 25

Good morning to all!

Just got a pm from Anna proclaiming me yesterday �s winner with my fairies on strike version of her word. So now the difficult task is upon me!

I hope this weekend brings you lots of inspiration - do all join in! We �re looking for any and all non-dictionary and non-encyclopaedia definitions of the word:

BRIMBORION

May we have the grandest, funniest, creepiest definitions possible (still - all within the boundaries of good taste, right?)...

Have a fun weekend!
Anita

25 Jun 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The first dandy centurion who decided to wear a hat with a brim instead of a helmet.
Maybe smth like this
     OR   

Sophia

25 Jun 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Thank you Anita for giving us such an easy word to guess!
Well, you see it comes from the Vend�e (western province of France) patois. in fact, it just means "happy new year" How �s that? I �ll explain:
 In French we say: "Je vous souhaite une bien bonne ann�e" and in the Vendean patois which any French man is familiar with, they say "Che vu sw�te oune brimborion anade"
That �s it! No other definition is possible! I am the winner !!Thumbs Up

25 Jun 2011     

douglas
United States

BRI-bring
M-More
B-beer
Orion-the Hunter (a constellation)

brimborion - What Orion �s friends would say to him when they were at the pub and he had gotten up to go to the toilet. "Brimborion-Bring more beer Orion!"

25 Jun 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Orion �s constelation "brimming" with light!

25 Jun 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Thank you to all those who played so far. There have been only a few brave people though... Let �s challenge the other side of the continent to a mind duel and see who comes up with a better daffynition - the night shift or the day shift!

25 Jun 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Ahhhh! 
this one �s simple!
It �s another version of the old challenge "Victory or Death!"
Only this one �s all about avoiding the ironing

"BRIMB  OR ION!"
only thing is... I haven �t quite worked out what punishment Brimb should be... I �ll comeback when I �ve thought of something better.... Ahem!Embarrassed

25 Jun 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

Brim=edge
bore, same sound as boar
ion

Brimborium, a boar that lives on the edge of cliffs.

25 Jun 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

Well, midnight is near and this Cinderella had better go to bed before she loses her witsWink...

A big hug to all the players -

Sophia, Thumbs Up, the kid and his special hat made me chuckle (just the kind of thing I �d improvise into a gladiator �s helmet, so cute) - fabulous try!
Mariethe, Hug, I �m sorry, but you are not the winner this time, although your French sounds so charming.
Mar, Tongue, love the pics you posted - Orion is so beautiful to look at!
Frank, Wink, wish you had figured out the Brimb part into details... would have made a cute story!
Anna, LOL, I hope the boar doesn �t fall off the cliffs...

So, here �s what it actually is (from http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-bri1.htm:

BRIMBORION/brɪmˈbɔərɪən/  A thing without value or use.

I guess you all know who the winner is - drum roll, please! It �s D-O-U-G-L-A-S!!!!

Douglas, let �s have some more, it �s casual Saturday, right? Here �s one for you, directly from Orion... (Be a good sport, will you, and bring some more for the other playersWink as a consolation prize!)

25 Jun 2011     

douglas
United States

Thanks Anita--here �s more beer for the rest of you:

26 Jun 2011