Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD for Thursday 7 july    

WOD for Thursday 7 july

douglas
United States

WOD for Thursday 7 july

Good Morning Colleagues!

Thank-you Ed for selecting my definiton of rhinotillexomania (habitual or obsessive nose-picking is the correct definition) as the winner--I had fun writing the story so winning was just a bonus.

So the new Word of the Day (WOD) is:

CATOPTROMANCY

and here is a little hint for you:

I �m looking forward to your daffy defintions and am curious to see how this "cat" word goes over.

Cheers,
Douglas

7 Jul 2011      

Apodo
Australia

CATOPTROMANCY

cat - a feline
opt - to do with sight
romancy - in a fashion mimicking romance
This the look cats give you. The one where they gaze up adoringly as they wind themselves round your legs....and then you realize they just want food.

7 Jul 2011     

teresasimoes
Portugal

CATOPTROMANCY
Once upon a time there was a cat. Not a regular one, kept as a pet or a stray one. He wished to be famous and guess the future. However, he felt very lonely. So, one day he had a romance with an ET. Both of them decided to start a business foreseeing people�s lives. The thing is that they didn�t include  their success in the package. So they hadn�the ability to see it.

7 Jul 2011     

Jayho
Australia

CATOPTROMANCY      cat + opt + romance

----- When a furry feline chooses to love itself more than anything else in the world -----

Mirror mirror on the wall
Who is the most PURRfect of them all

7 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

CATOPTROMANCY

It is a rather obscure form of divination where the medium puts a cat in front of a mirror and waits... if the reflection changes suddenly or the cat react strangely to its reflection, then the medium knows that there is a can of cat food, catnip or rat infestation (used to be a hidden will or treasure, but you know... times change) somewhere in the house.

7 Jul 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Alright! What will happen if a cat falls in love with ...?!?!! Ok..nothing is better than standing in front of the mirror and sigh!:))))

7 Jul 2011     

Pelletrine
France

Well, you know how it goes: it �s late spring, early summer, the neighbors cat has just given birth to 3 gorgeous and playful kittens. You can �t resist (you know you ought to, though!!) So, you adopt the most lovely, lively and loving little kitten. It �s pure romance !!

But, as we said, it �s springtime.... you fall in love.... and start to neclect a bit this cute little compagnon... you know, you have better things to do: glance for hours in the mirror, trying to reassure yourself: really, THIS time it will work out, you �ve found Prince Charming himself... it �s pure romance between him and you.

Well, your little kitten is rapidly growing; growing into becoming a real full size adult cat. But you don �t realize that.... you �ve now got better things to do. Your lovely kitten, sorry cat, has a very bad time. He is wondering what he did wrong: "Why did she adopt me???? She doesn �t care about me anymore.... WHAT did I do to make her ignore me????"

So, your kitten-having-become-a-cat is asking himself essentiel questions... every day, every hour. He tries to find a solution, adopting your attitude: sitting in front of a mirror: waiting for the mirror to give him an answer..... and he starts dreaming about Charming Princess Cat.... in fact: he stays hours and hours in front of the mirror, he gives birth to a romance about himself and this lovely cat princess!

And then, you know how it goes... September comes... finally, your Prince Charming wasn �t that charming... you might as well face it: it wasn �t  what you expected, or hoped for : he has already hit you twice... and you never know if he will turn up for dinner.... and you never know in what mood he �ll turn up: end of your romance, you �ll have to opt out!

As you force yourself to think about yourself ( ... and don �t manage) you find yourself rediscovering your cute-little-kitten-who-has-become-a-cat.

Well, isn �t that strange: you can �t figure out what on Earth is the matter: it wont eat, wont chase mice, wont play: just sits there all day long looking at itself in the mirror!!

So, you opt for a visit to the vet with your cat: the vet is smart, he tells you straight away that it is a serious matter: the cat has opted for a romantic disease: catoptromancy!!

7 Jul 2011