Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you recommend me a good restaurant?    

Can you recommend me a good restaurant?

spinney
United Kingdom

Can you recommend me a good restaurant?

Just wondering if any of the grammar hawks among you might be able to tell me why it �s considered wrong to say "Can you recommend me a good restaurant?" It sounds perfectly fine to me but I was listening to an ESL radio station the other day and they said it was wrong. Was the guy wrong? Is there an American/Brit difference I don �t know about? What are your thoughts on this on? While I �m at it, is there an exercise on here with a list of verbs that don �t take object pronouns? I often have that problem with advanced level students ("can you confirm me?" etc...)

9 Jul 2011      

Mariethe House
France

I would just miss out the pronoun and say: "Can you recommend a good restaurant?" Just what I seem to remember hearing in England in such circumstance!Smile

9 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks Mariethe! I think that �s wise. Perhaps it �s a regional thing. For example, I know it �s wrong to say "show it me" rather than "show it to me" but in parts of the UK that �s how we speak. Sometimes I think being a native can be just as much an obstacle as not. I would never correct a student for saying "me and my friends" for example (unless they had an exam coming up). The majority of Brits speak that way. In fact, to some, " My friends and I" sounds slightly comical. I suppose it �s that old argument about teaching them to speak "good English" "correct English" "native English" or "The Queen �s English." I makes my head hurt!

9 Jul 2011     

Gia Mel
Chile

just show it to us! Always happy to learn...

My opinion anyway...

Miss G.

9 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Hello, Dale
I always tell my colleagues that the fact that a volunteer is a native speaker doesn �t mean he/she is always correct :) They never get it...

Here �s what the dictionary gives;
recommend somebody/something Can you recommend a good hotel?recommend somebody/something (to somebody) (for/as something) I recommend the book to all my students.She was recommended for the post by a colleague.The hotel �s new restaurant comes highly recommended (= a lot of people have praised it).As to the exercises, maybe you�ll find something here.You might also find this site useful for your advanced students.Have a nice weekend,Sophia

9 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

I never use recommend me - or recommend to me.
I think it �s understood in the question who you are recommending something to.

Can you recommend a good hotel?
Can you recommend a good place to eat?

To use "to me" or just "me" sounds like a literal translation. In Danish, directly translated - you DO say "Can you recommend me" - but it doesn �t sound correct in English.

9 Jul 2011     

mariec
Spain

http://www.grammar-quizzes.com/infinitive2b.html

TRY THIS SITE.

I�D SAY: 2CAN YOU RECOMMEND A GOOD RESTAURANT?

HAPPY WEEKENDSmile

9 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I guess if you look at the meaning(s) of �recommend� - to suggest that someone or something would be good or suitable for a particular job or purpose, or to suggest that a particular action should be done - you�d find that using the bare me as an indirect object (as opposed to �me� as a direct object) after recommend doesn�t really work. Mind you, the language is adapting constantly and I think we�ve all noticed that this particular usage is becoming fairly common outside the �inner circle� and may eventually be considered �normal�.

By the way, Dale, I don �t think there�s anything particularly wrong with the phrase�give it me� (although I don �t personally use it and I �ve only rarely heard �show it me�) and it �s certainly not restricted to the UK. For example, The Corpus of Historical American English will give you over a 100 separate entries for �give it me�, with most of them occurring in the 19th century. It�s kind of old-fashioned, but maybe this is the analogy you �re using when you�re thinking of recommend?

9 Jul 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

I agree with Almaz that language is constantly changing. I think this is a case of nitpicking. Everyone clearly understands what is meant and nobody can seem to point out a particular rule why it �s incorrect.

Can you recommend a good restaurant? perfect usage
Can you recommend a good restaurant to me? sounds a bit contrived if you ask me but is correct according to the rules
Can you recommend me a good restaurant? maybe not completely correct, but definitely used regularly by many - I wouldn �t correct a student if they used this phrase

BTW, the same probably goes for �I �d like to recommend (you) a good restaurant �.

9 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Good compromise, Philip. If you consider the parallel sentence "Can you tell me a story?", this seems all the more natural.

Bruce

9 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Perhaps it �s Spanish infecting my English with its grammar rules. Who knows? Anyway, I now have an even bigger headache thinking about it than before. I think I �ll copy and paste this and give it to the next pesky student that asks this sort of question! I �m off to take an aspirin! 

9 Jul 2011     

1    2    3    Next >