Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > timeout, timeout    

timeout, timeout

wolfy
Chile

timeout, timeout

One of my students just gave me the "T" timeout sign, but instead of coming out of the meeting he was in to explain something to me, he wanted me to wait for him. �So my question is what do we mean when we say timeout or give the "T" sign?

19 Dec 2008      

libertybelle
United States

Timeout comes from the world of sports.
It is usually the coach who calls time-out.
(often because he wants to give advice about the game)

When we use it - outside of sports - it means
that we stop what we�re doing or talking about
for a minute - for example like changing the subject.

It is also used for 2 people who are arguing.
Usually to take a step back and see if the problem can�t
be solved in another way.

19 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

thanks libertybelle, �that�s what I thought, so in the case the student was wrong. �I think in Chile people use it to mean "tiempo" (time), so they use it to mean "please wiat 5 mins". �I wasn�t sure if that use was OK or not.

19 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Apart from th meaning it has in game:

• S: (n) respite, recess, break, time out (a pause from doing something (as work)) "we took a 10-minute break"; "he took time out to recuperate"                                                                                                wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • Alternative spelling of time-out; to end (an incomplete task) after a time limit; of a task, to be terminated because it was not completed before a time limit; To call for a time-out; To call for a suspension of activity or conversation   en.wiktionary.org/wiki/time_out
  • A short break in the action of a sport, for substitution, consultation, etc; The intentional ending of an incomplete task after a time limit ...
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/time-out

19 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Hi Tere
I think that that was what I wrote!
L

19 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

If a child gives you the T sign it means - Excuse me miss, I can see you are busy, and I don�t want to interrupt, but I really need the toilet and can�t hold on anymore!  You nod and they run.  Not sure why but if kids want a fake toilet break they always ask for it, but real ones give you the T sign.  

20 Dec 2008