Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Enough money . . . And . . . . . Old enough    

Enough money . . . And . . . . . Old enough

Imdad
Bangladesh

Enough money . . . And . . . . . Old enough

Hi:) everybody. Today i �m looking for a help in this confusion . . . . We say . . . . "I have enough money." here the word "enough" modifies the Noun - "money". So here enough works as the adjective and it is put in front of the noun. But the problem i face is that . . . We say . . . . "A fifteen year old is not old enough to vote." here the question is that . . . Why don �t we write like this . . . "Enough old" ? And other one is that . . . Are both "old" and "enough" Adjective ? If so, do we follow the word order of Adjective here ? Or , why do we put "old enough", why not "enough old" ??? Please help me solve this problem immediately . . Please

21 Jul 2011      

Zora
Canada

The rule is -

enough goes after adjectives and adverbs, and before nouns.

It �s hot enough. It �s slow enough. It heats up quickly enough...

I have enough money. You don �t use enough time to study.

21 Jul 2011     

Rainbow_02
Argentina

Hi, Imdad

Here goes your answer =)

The worl �enough � is NOT an adjective. It �s an adverb. So we use it like this: 

enough + nouns      eg. enough money
adjectives + enough     eg. old enough

21 Jul 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

Thanks. But i �m still confused. If "enough" is an Adverb, then how can it modify a noun - money ? @RAINBOW @Zora , your examples are very helpful to me. But i need some more clarification of this structures. Would you kindly write it in a structure so that it can be learnt easily and shortly, especially the sentence that i �ve given ?

21 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

"enough" is a quantifier, not an adverb... and the rule is the one that I gave you.  "Before nouns, after adjectives".

21 Jul 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Actually, according to the dictionary, it �s an adjective, an adverb an interjection and a noun or pronoun (that never occured to me and I �ve been teaching it for 14 years!). I �ve always told my students it �s an adverb though. So there you go! Never take your language for granted! Tell your students to treat it as an adjective with nouns and an adverb with verbs.
Her are some clear examples: 1. Adjective - I don �t have enough money to buy a house. (in this sense it means a sufficient quantity) 
2. Adverb - I �m not rich enough to buy a house. (I �m not sufficiently rich to buy a house - said this way would sound odd to native speakers)  3. Pronoun - I �ve had enough (enough food). I can �t eat any more.   4. Noun - I �ve had enough (of whatever). I �m going to bed.  5. Interjection - "Enough," screamed Dr. No. "Kill him!"

One piece of advice, though. Tell your students not to try and translate it. To us natives it �s quite a black and white concept but with my Spanish (beginners) students, it drives them mad as the translations are not always very straightforward.

P.S. Oh, erm, and it is a quantifier, too.

21 Jul 2011     

lagringa
Argentina

hello, Imbad. when you say "enough money", here enough is not an adverb, it is a determiner. the following explanation is taken from Longman Dictionary:
  enough comes after adjectives, never before
 This one is big enough (NOT enough big). Is it warm enough for you?
enough usually comes before nouns
 We haven �t got enough time. Are there enough plates?
 Sometimes people use enough after nouns in particular expressions, but this is not very usual
There will be time enough for that later.!!
Nouns used with enough must be plural or uncountable, never singular There aren �t enough books (NOT enough book). She has enough money to live on.
I hope this clarifies your doubt. Hugs from Argentina, Lagringa.

21 Jul 2011     

Imdad
Bangladesh

Grrrrrrrrreat !!! Now it �s as easy as a pie. So, ENOUGH thanks to all of you for the help in "ENOUGH". Ummmmmmmmahhh . . . . . . . .

21 Jul 2011