Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Facebook Language - Question    

Facebook Language - Question

carinita
Argentina

Facebook Language - Question

You text an instant message
You chat on MSN
You write posts on Blogger
And what do you do on Facebook?
Thanks in advance...

22 Jul 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

I think "comment" goes well, when you add something to someone else �s post. But you can also "post" there also. And....... you can also "chat" on Facebook, so, I guess all the terms are also applicable to all LOL     

22 Jul 2011     

carinita
Argentina

aha "write comments" on Facebook and you can also "stalk people" there Big smile

22 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

And I think you can friend and unfriend people. 

You ignore invitiations or accept them. You can also report people or photos. 
And you like comments or photos (click "like") or unlike them (to cancel "like" if you change your mind).
You can poke people.
You can share links "via"  another user (click on "share" under someone�s link).
And of course you can spam. Not desirable.

22 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Isn �t the verb you mean befriend vs. defriend? Native speakers, please leave a comment Heart

Sophia

22 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Nope. See the links. And here�s another one:

It �s about Facebook. I didn�t make them up.

22 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I heard defriend many times. It �s not in the dictionary, but I believe is widely used in the spoken language. So my appeal was to the native speakers for clarification.
Sophia

22 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Yes, Sophia, in regular English, to befriend is to become a friend. In the world of facebook, to friend is to add a person to your list of fb contacts, and to defriend is to remove a person from that list.

Bruce

22 Jul 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks, Bruce!
Sophia

22 Jul 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

BRUCE, you are a native speaker, but I rely on CBS news and on the New Oxford American Dictionary more, sorry. 

See for yourself:

Besides, I�ve heard it several times from native speakers, i.e., read it on blogs.
It IS used, but not found in many dictionaries, obviously. But neither is "defriend". 

Sophia, I�ve NEVER heard of "defriend" related to FB.

I check an re-check (is that a word?) before I write something.

22 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Minka, 

�Unfriend � is definitely acceptable Facebookese and - no surprise - has certainly made its mark among lexicographers but if, as you say, you check and re-check, it surely must have been an oversight when you missed  this or in fact, a whole wheen of references to FB and �defriend �.

22 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >