Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Was there a special teacher in your life?    

Was there a special teacher in your life?

edrodmedina
United States

Was there a special teacher in your life?

My mom, of course was my very first teacher. She did not get beyond seventh grade but she was a great story teller. She would sit me on her lap in a rocking chair in the porch and tell me stories of when she was a little girl. She told me the stories of Juan Bobo, The Three Little Pigs and Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, The Billy Goats Gruff and Gotitas de Oro amongst many others. She would sing and make me feel joyful or she would sing a tale that would make me bawl.

Once I entered school there were other teachers all of whom I remember fondly. There was Mrs. Galarza my first grade teacherin Puerto Rico, Miss Levine and Mrs. Galatelo two of my three second grade teachers from when we moved to Brooklyn New York. I can�t remember the name of my third second grade teacher because I was with her but a short time before moving on to third grade. There was Mrs. Ciano my third grade teacher and the fiery Mr. Pyles who doubled as my classroom teacher and the school�s music teacher and there was, sigh, the golden haired Miss Cohen.

When I was in fourth grade, though, I had a very special teacher by the name of Mrs. Anne Hubbard. She was tall with dark hair and dark a complexion. She was neither beautiful, at least from what you could see on the outside, nor was she plain but she had an elegance about her in her dress and manner. She would wear a scarf about her neck and a comb on each side of her head would hold her dark tresses off of her smooth face. What I did find the most attractive, and so will always have a special place in my heart, about Mrs. Hubbard though, were her compassion, her love for what she did and how she could make each child in a sea of children, feel special.

I recall Mrs. Hubbard taking us to the Museum of Natural History in Manhattan, to the Staten Island Zoo and even to visit the NSS Savannah the first and only, if I�m not mistaken, nuclear powered passenger-cargo ship in the world at that time. But of all the trips I remember taking with her it was the Saturday walking trips that she would take some of us on that eventually led us to a hidden and very intimate children�s theater in an old Brownstone in Brooklyn Heights that I enjoyed the most.

Pinocchio came alive in that theater as well as Hansel and Gretel and Alice in her Wonderland. But what made the time there momentous was Mrs. Hubbard who took the time to nurture us and make us feel loved. All of my school teachers were special but Mrs. Hubbard was specialer. Was there a Mrs. Hubbard in your life?

23 Jul 2011      

Mariethe House
France

dear Ed, Thank you for posting this great topic!
Well, Do I have a Mrs Hubbard hidden in any of my memory cupboards?
I remember my first teacher when I started school. She was a fairly young person and she wore glasses and she had crossed eyes! That was the most beautiful thing one could have , I decided, because I admired her so much for her talent at reading stories, and her lovely soft  tone of voice,  I decided I wanted to be crossed eyed too ! So, in the evening I would practise in front of the mirror, crossing my eyes and trying to look just at marvellous as Mrs Douhet!
Now, I will diverge a little from your topic, Ed, and I will talk about my discovery of the school universe!
I was born in a poor family. My parents were farmers in a little mountain village and life was hard and money sparse! There were NO books whatsoever at home! NO magazines, No newspapers! I grew up until the age of 6 just with the stories my mum and Dad would recall, from their memory! It was quite fabulous because my mum came from a foreign country and she would tell me about it , about its traditions and sometimes , she would tell me some fantastic stories that didn"t seem real, quite frightening... But I loved it and it was a moment of grace and happiness.

However, at the age of 6 I had to start school! There, I discovered a fascinating universe! Books everywhere from which the crossed eyed teacher would read a fabulously incredible story... A different one everyday , at the end of the lessons.. And I was just hypnotised.
Yes, ED, Pinocchio, Goldilocks, The little Red riding hood, ... then later, Michaekl Strogoff, Niels Andersen.... Well a universe of imagination opened before me. And Then , what �s more exciting, I started to learn how to read and i can tell you I was really motivated because we could take some of these marvellous stories home , to read and that was the best reward!
 So, guess what! In the evenings, by the fire place, Just after dinner and before going to bed, I would read to my parents and thus  I taught a few rudiments of French to my mother .
And I would close the book , dash to bed and wait impatiently for thenext day when school would  help me reach the rest of the world  through Mrs Douhet and other teachers to come., !

23 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

I don �t remember... Cry

But I love reading all your stories!

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!

Hug

23 Jul 2011     

Mariethe House
France

So sorry Mar! Maybe yo can tell us of some recent memories of How your students love you because I am sure they do!!WinkHug

23 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Miss Mulholland. Flame-haired beauty. Got married. Broke ten-year-old �s heart (sob).

23 Jul 2011     

seansarto
United States

When I was young, I liked going to school...I liked my teachers and learning...And my friends were there..I grew up in rural New York on a street idyllicly denomed, "Peaceable"(though at times it seemed far from it) and we didn �t have many neighbors. It was a grandiose landscape of deep forests, endless cornfields and ghostly swamps where my childhood was painted...Being so far out in the boonies, I was always just about the last kid off the school bus and the first kid on, and  it took about an hour and a half or so for us to get to school...Never minded it a bit....I had a lot of really great teachers..and I still run into them from time to time when I am in my hometown...Everything I know about teaching came from them....Some of my funniest memories, though, are my memories of  my teachers who were the "hard-a**ses"...and my memories of �em are vivid...They stand as a constant source of reflection and humour for me....Just always crack me up...And to be honest, I am grateful for them....The "King of Harda**" was my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Youmans. He was a model mad man in full Ward Cleaver dress....Mr Youman �s had no bones about throwing things to make his point clear and precise....He �d ask you to be quiet..If you did not...Projectile to your head!...That projectile consisted of whatever he had in his hands....You hoped for something light and soft like an eraser....but it  didn �t always turn out that way....Anyways, "BOOM!" and the class would go deathly silent...And all you �d know was yer little heart slammin � against yer chest and seein � Bob Youmans standin � there beet-red and  fuming....Left it �s impression...
 Then there was the "leaning back in you chair"offense....If if he saw it...and you, by chance,  didn �t see him..He �d creep up behind you, NAVY SEAL style and abruptly remove the chair... This tactic lead to tears more often than not (Always remember this one time how one of my friends went down really hard after Mr. Youman �s bushwhacked �em and then seeing my friend promptly running out of the school and all the way home completely lost in a state of frenzied hysterics)...Also, left it �s impression.

My fondest memory with Mr. Youmans, (we called him "Bob"), was going as a class to the Capital in Albany, New York to meet Senator Joe Bruno. Senator Bruno was just about to greet us when I felt the sudden need to approach Mr. Youman �s and inform him I had to take a pee...pretty urgently. Well, Mr. Youman �s wasn �t having any of that. This was a big moment for us. So,he furrowed up his brow and with a razor sharp scowl leaned closely over into my young countenance and demanded I "Tie a knot in it!"......Thus I learned the skills of delaying the pleasures of urinary gratification....I decided to put off relieving myself until after the meet and greet with the Senator....Senator Bruno showed us around the capital, (taking his sweet time) and then we had our picture taken with the Senator, (also taking his sweet time) and THEN I darted towards the men �s room.....As we headed home after the outing, the general impression amongst most of the students was that Senator Bruno �s breath wasn �t very nice...Maybe it was all the coffee he drank......Anyways, to this day, that phrase "tie a knot in it" always brings me pause and chuckle....I think the very same issue was later taken up in a Seinfeld episode...I wish I could have warned Mr. Youman �s about the dangers of  "Uromysitosis" back then..But I was still a novice and learning....He would �ve probably had a good laugh....In the end, to me , Mr. Youmans, or "Bob",  wasn �t really such a bad guy, (and yes some parents of the PTA did see him that way), he was just stern at a time when we kids needed that discipline. We took it in stride and benefitted from it. To tell you the truth, a teacher like Mr. Youman �s would have a hard time existing in today �s educational system. 

24 Jul 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

There is one special teacher in my memory: Mr Roberto. 

Not many people have (and can communicate) such love for life, knowledge and languages, which he considered the best way of knocking down barriers and frontiers.

I often wonder if he guessed (35 years ago) that the world was becoming such a narrow and monolitic place. 

24 Jul 2011     

epit
Turkey

I liked all of my teacher but the most wonderful one was my Maths teacher at high school.His name is Mr �nsal.He was short with grey hair and white teeth .He always wore white like a doctor uniform .He never sat his teacher table cause he had no time to do this .He used the board a lot.He wrote the theory and showed its argument.May be I couldn�t learn Maths well  as well as he wanted but he gave us a strong logic in looking to the life .Have a nice week!

24 Jul 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

Such moving stories...Thanks for bringing that one up, Ed. I think it �s really important to show our respect for the people who cared so much about us.

I really loved my first grade teacher, Miss Elli Chrysanthopoulos. She always dealed with the crazy, screaming children we were with a smile, hardly ever do I remember her shouting to calm us down. I think most of all I liked the way she taught the alphabet, using shapes and rhymes. Unfortunately, she passed away when I was in high school. I couldn �t bear attending the funeral but I sometimes visit her at the graveyard to pay my respects, since I still live in my hometown.

Then it was Miss Mary Karathanasis, my 4th, 5th and 6th grade teacher. We took to her and I remember it was during those years I announced my aspiration to become a teacher. I still have a notebook with her comment that if I tried that out, she thought I �d make a good one. It was the most supportive message anyone has given me. She also loved the theatre, and through her we loved it,too, so I took part in ancient greek tragedy performances for three cosecutive years.

Then, there was this GREAT philology teacher, Mr Stefanides. He taught in a crazy manner, and you could never be sure if he was pulling your leg or if he were, indeed, crazy. He never called us by our names, but instead he made up names he thought were more suitable for us. For example, he knew my name was Valentina, but he called me "little drop", perhaps because I was quite short and thin back then. I stil talk about his ability to communicate the use and effectiveness of ancient Greek with uttermost respect.

Last but not least, there was Mr Tzavaras at university. He was a 62-year-old linguist who was still doing research because, as he said, a language is always evolving, and it �s a pity to miss the opportunity to study the process. He made me love linguistics and he never regarded it as difficult (we, as students, saw Linguistics as Alien Language at the time) and more often than not he would use the simplest sentences to teach theory, including "The boy kissed the girl", or "The boy kivked the girl", or even "She loves you". After writing the last one on the board, he would sing the famous Beatles song and all of us would sing along for a couple of minutes.

I think most of the teachers I really loved had a certain aura of "madness" which I adored, and this is what I �ve been trying to do every time I �m in the classroom. I disliked teachers who were bored and uninspired, because learning is and should be fun!

24 Jul 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Everybody here has so nice stories about their favourite teacher and how they inpired them to become a teacher too. Well, I have a story about a Math teacher who showed me how I should not be as a teacher. I �ll call her Miss Dragon.

Every day when she entered the classroom, the whole class stood quiet. That was our greeting. Than, when she ordered, I sat, eyes down. I wanted to vanish, I always hoped not be noticed. She looked around. I was behind my desk like a little mouse waiting for the attack of the cat. "God, let her not notice me, let her call another girl to the blackboard", I prayed. Then the thunder: "Pollhammer ( this was my maiden name) to the board".

I began to shake, my eyes filled with tears, but she didn �t care. There I was, at the blackboard, ready to fight with my enemies. It wasn �t fair, there were two against one: The formulas and she who should have been my ally to master the numbers and the problems. I felt betrayed. She  was on their side and they defeated me systematically. Vanquished I got back to my seat, crying. And she didn �t care. She told me that I had no future, the only thing I could do was to become a houskeeper or something lower.

The funniest thing is that she said to my father that she did all this because she loved me, because she found me intelligent and that this was the only way to make me understand and love math. She was wrong. Not only do I hate math, but also am I unable today to solve the easiest math problem. Do you believe that I can �t solve an equation?

Against all her predictions, I got a nice future. I studied Sociology and a speak 4 languages fluently and I can read two more.  I �m a language teacher now. Could I speak to her in hell ( where she must be) I would say : " Mrs. Dragon. You have been my model. You haven �t been successful with maths, but I have learnt HOW NOT TO TEACH! And I �m really thankful.

24 Jul 2011     

Mallerenga
Spain

Wow! I really like your stories.

When I was a child my very first teacher was my grandad. He was funny and explained wonderful stories. I remember rushing out of school and running to his house (a couple of kilometers away) just to sit next to him with a big loaf of bread and some home-made ham.

Then, at school, I had some good teachers but the best was the mood of the school. It had a great project on arts: music, theatre, painting,... and all the teachers were open-minded, kind and explained all the subjects as if they were telling a story. We were so happy that many of my school-mates have become teachers! Now my daughters go to the same school and you should see them singing, dancing and performing!

24 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >