Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > task based activities for one-to-one lessons    

task based activities for one-to-one lessons

wende
Spain

task based activities for one-to-one lessons

Hi dear teachers!
Once again, I need your help. I want to improve my one-to-one lessons by adding some fun task-based activities or role-plays, but I can �t come up with good ideas, as it �s only my student and me.
I want to use these activities to practise grammar - past simple, will, present simple/cont, past cont - (she �s 13) and to make her learn new vocabulary.
What do you suggest? I have searched the site, but all the worksheets I have found are for groups or for individual work.
Thank you a lot!

24 Jul 2011      

apayala
Spain

Board games or bingo games. No problem if you are only 2 players, you can play.

Regards,

Ana

24 Jul 2011     

melnoad
Canada

You can use conversation patterns and change up the vocabulary, keeping the grammar the same. You can turn this into a role-play, such as shopping, eating at a restaurant, making a phone call, etc.

You can use the same conversation patterns in games. For example, you can download a "have you ever" board game or battleship game. These will repeat the grammar and students can give their own answers.

You can check out one of the battleship games that I have to see what I mean (you can change the background and characters if you want to make your own in MS Paint or MS Word to make it fun).

25 Jul 2011     

lalla99
Romania

I use a  couple of packs of cards, one with different places in towns, the other with different sports activities, and they are played on the game Go Fish. You have 5-6 cards each and each player tries to make pairs of cards by winning what is in the hand of the other with  �Do you go/ Are you going? Yes - No. /   �Will you buy ...? � No, I �m not going to the .... today. etc. 
With the sports cards I use �Have you ever been/ played etc � again using the game Go Fish, but any pack of cards with pairs can be used to practice all kinds of vocabulary especially where repetition of questions would be the goal.
I also use Battleships for similar reasons and this game is ideal for 2 players, especially for more reticent types because they like the puzzle. 
Occasionally I just play ordinary games with younger students, with no specific purpose as it feels much less like a lesson and therefore more normal and conversational. In this case I often ask them to explain the rules if possible.

25 Jul 2011