Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Ideas for "elementary" adults    

Ideas for "elementary" adults

readingaol
Portugal

Ideas for "elementary" adults

Hello everyone, I �ve just started a new course with adult students, somewhere between 40 and 60. These students left school 20 or 30 years ago, they only studied until the 4th grade (elementary school). Now they are studying to complete the 6th grade. Some of them can barely read and write in Portuguese (mother tongue).
Have you ever experienced something like this?
Can you give me a few hints on games or approaches?
Thanks in advance.

27 Jul 2011      

silvanadelval
Argentina

Hi! How are you? I hope you �re doing well. I have been teaching adults for about 20 years and this is what I do with beginners. They usually tend to think- or rather feel, even if they are unaware of it- that they will never learn, that English is difficult, that they left school too long ago and things along those lines. In order to give their self-esteem a boost, I try to take advantage of the English they DO know. What I say is something like this:
* Why are you here in level 1 (or for that matter, at a beginners level)?
They usually reply:
* Because we don �t know anything/ Because we know no English at all.
To which I respond:
* Are you sure you don �t know any English?
And I challenge them by saying:
* I �m not so sure about it.
It is at that moment that I:
1) either start showing to them flashcards or photos of things they usually handle in English but in their own culture (here in Argentina, for instance, words such as PIZZA, TAXI, CLUB, TENNIS, FOOTBALL, SANDWICH, RESTAURANT, etc. are of every day use and nobody even notices that they are in English!).
2) or I begin to mime I am eating a SANDWICH as I say:
* What am I eating?
And I continue doing the same with as many items as I can think of.
In both cases, as they discover and tell me the words in English they already use/understand, I write them on the board. When I �m done with the list of words I ask my students:
* So... are you sure you know NO English?
And in this way, they begin their learning process with a much more positive outlook on what they might expect from the course.

This is just and idea to start classes. I hope it �s been useful.

Best wishes from Argentina.

Silvana

27 Jul 2011