Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Media designer for digital and print media -     

Media designer for digital and print media -

Mietz
Germany

Media designer for digital and print media -

Dear colleagues,
after the holidays I �ve agreed to teach English as part of a training for "Media designers for digital and print media". Admittedly - I have no idea about the subject and am now starting to gather information. There doesn �t appear to be a curriculum - at least, I haven �t found one yet, but it �s relevant for the examinations and the general curriculum just keeps saying: students need to understand and use English relevant technical terms.

Has anybody here worked with students of this field? Could anybody recommend a book or a website? I �d be very grateful!

Thanks!
Mietz

28 Jul 2011      

blunderbuster
Germany

I used to work in the field myself, what you need is an overview of the programs they use and, preferably, get a hold of the programs in their English version + a manual and familiarize yourself with them, To get started and Englsih version of office might help.

Check ebay auctions for free versions, that is where I got my QuarkXPress cheaply.

Regards

28 Jul 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Thanks Regina for the very helpful input.
Would you have any idea how to plan a curriculum or does that really depend too much on the school and work on a "teaching along the lines" basis? What �s your experience with that?

Thanks Mietz

28 Jul 2011     

englishchris
Germany

One of my friends is a Media designer, she relies heavily on software by Adobe (Photshop, InDesign, Premiere, etc.). You might want to get a closer look at them. Terms from the publishing industry might come in handy too. (There is a good Langenscheid Dictionary out there, covering the topic). 

28 Jul 2011     

Abigail Gilbert
United Kingdom

I �m not sure what level your students will be at, but there �s a lovely series of short animations on the British Council website based in a web design agency.  It �s been a great resource for my pre-intermediate student who is a graphic designer.

The language focus is the working environment, and I �d recommend it for anyone teaching business English or teaching a job seeker.

29 Jul 2011     

Mietz
Germany

Thanks everybody for your very helpful input! Hug I �ll check it all out.

Regarding the level - I have no idea. I �ll know, once I �ve started teaching them of course, but I suppose that in this field, there �ll be at least some basis. I don �t think anybody would start that training, who has no idea about English. One can �t be sure, though... (Oh - and one of the students has an American mother and thinks that she �s better than any teacher... That �ll be fun...Wacko)

Still - I �m looking forward to the challenge. :-)

Mietz

29 Jul 2011