Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help please!    

help please!

minegurtop
Turkey

help please!

hellpppp!! how can I teach the difference between present perfect and present perfect cont.??
the explanation should be very simple!!
thanks in advance!

20 Dec 2008      

mena22
Portugal

Hi minegurtop! A very simple explanation for the difference between the present Perfect and the PPContinuous, you said... 

1. I�ve been reading Hamlet.
2. I�ve read Hamlet.

Questions asked to the students: In sentence 1, Have I finished reading the book?  Can you be sure of that? (no)
When they come to the conclusion that the answer is no, we ask which is more important to the speaker -- to convey the idea that he/she has finished the book or that his/her reading has continued over a period of time .

In sentence 2, which is more important? The fact that I�ve finnished the book or the activity of reading it? (The fact that I�ve finished the book)

So, what�s the difference between the 2 sentences? 1st one - an action which has continued until now and may continue in the future. 2nd sentence - a completed action on an indefinite time in the past.

So, the Present perfect continuous is used when we want to emphasize that the action has continued over a period of time. It isn�t important if we�ve finished the book or not.

Well, that�s how David Bolton and Noel Goodey put it! Hope it helps you.

20 Dec 2008     

SOLO
Qatar

Using time lines have been very successful in conveying messages with such an abstract content.
Use time lines.

20 Dec 2008     

minegurtop
Turkey

thank you very much. it really helps me.

20 Dec 2008     

gaby_mn
United States

minegurtop: I always tell my students that present perfect continuous is used to talk about situations where the emphasis is on how long the action took. For example I _____________ (wait) for you for hours <-------- present perfect continuous

20 Dec 2008     

myemma
Ukraine

Dear friends! Can you be so kind and help me to find Free funny clip arts ( kids, pets, schol objects)?
Maybe you know some free sites??? Thank you very much for your help!!!!

21 Dec 2008     

sel_da
Turkey

please help me!!I  have grammer presentation  about in spite of but i need a text and activties please help me!!!

23 Dec 2008