Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > books    

books

Urpi
Peru

books

Hi dear colleagues I am worried I do not know how to create a good environment for my new course which the topic is Books, here in my country people don �t like reading in general especially teenagers. And I really need some ideas please.
A person in need.

2 Aug 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It really depends on the level of your ss and their age, so would you care to mention that for people to be able to help you out? And then what do you mean by the "Books" course? Is it a literature course or just pleasure reading?
Oxford University Press, Macmillan, Expresspublishing all have wonderful graded resources for reading classes. 
Take a look at this for example http://www.expresspublishing.co.uk/catalogue_details/details.php?Country=uk&id=2390 (note the book is adapted and they also offer a DVD as well as audio CD)
Sophia 

2 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Urpi. It �s difficult to motivate some to read in a foreign language especially if they don �t enjoy reading in a language their fairly comfortable in. I don �t know if books is where you should start. Maybe  comicbooks or newspapers and magazines with themes that they might enjoy such as movies, gossip, sports, TV. Perhaps books based on movies they �ve seen might be an in. Hope it helps. ED

2 Aug 2011     

lili62
Argentina

Hi!! I�m a teacher of English as a foreign language in Argentina and my students at secondary school don �t like reading so much. Not even in our native language! What I do is a �reading project �.  In the last period of the year I select a book to read according to the level of my students. They must read at home but, in fact, I READ FOR THEM ALOUD. It �s the only moment they pay attention to me in silence! They like listening to my voice (or the CD, but they prefer me reading to them). So I take advantage of this and I ask them questions about the book, the part we have been reading. They like if I make gestures or different voices... I explained to them not only language but also different topics related to the book. Finally we organize a project about the reader.  I don �t know if this will work for you but it works successfully for my students. I only wanted to share my experience with you because it was hard for me to make them read a reader up to the moment I implemented the �reading project �. Good luck!!!

3 Aug 2011     

Urpi
Peru

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer.

3 Aug 2011