Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Help in Generating More Ideas for Charity Event Please    

Help in Generating More Ideas for Charity Event Please

juliag
Japan

Help in Generating More Ideas for Charity Event Please

Good morning all,

Summer holidays at last here and a little more time to get on top of some projects that I have been wanting to do.

The most important one for me, personally, is a Family Fun Fundraising Day kind of thing, to get my students involved in an event that will raise money for the sufferers of the earthquake.

I think this is a very important kind of event to do, especially here in Japan, where fundraising is not seen as something that can also be fun, and most people only think of it as putting money in a donation box. Of course that is a very important means of fundraising, too, but I want to show the children I teach that they can help out, too, they can be involved and do something to raise money to help others and have fun at the same time, even though they are so young. I want them to learn some more about compassion for others, and also to realize that just because they are young doesn �t mean they don �t have the power to do anything. All of us have the potential to change the world for the better through our actions, whatever our age.

Right, enough of why I want to do it and on to what.

I have decided to have a family fun day including all or most of these events:

1) Bazaar - families will bring the things they no longer need and then sell to each other, but instead of keeping the profits they will go to charity.
2) Face painting of the kids by me for a small fee. (This and all fees mentioned from now on will, of course, go to the earthquake sufferers,, not to me).
3) Walking Pimo, my dog, round the park for a small fee.
4) This is something I would like to do but I don �t know if it is possible or not. There is horse riding school close-ish to hear and I will ask them if they can give horse rides for a small fee, but I �m rather doubtful as to whether they will agree to participate  as, as I said, this kind of thing is just not done here.
5) Throwing cream pies at your teacher (unfortunately meCryWink) for a small fee.
6) A raffle  - I will try to get my friends and contacts in the local community to offer as many "nice" prizes as possible i.e. lunch for two, a pottery class for a family etc. so people will have more incentive to buy the tickets.
7) Painting small shapes that I will have made in advance out of clay and that the kids can take home as a memento of the day for a small fee.
8) Making origami shapes and writing messages on them to send to the affected area with the money.

These are my ideas so far, and I have a couple of requests from you, this wonderful community so full of creative ideas.

Request 1: If any of you members living in Japan can do balloon art or magic tricks etc. and would be willing to travel to Nagano-ken and do a performance (or if you know anyone else who has these enviable skills and would be wiling to do so) I think it would be a great people pull and would really appreciate it if you could contact me. Sorry but the date of the event is yet to be arranged and of course I would understand if you couldn �t make the date in the end.

Request 2: More ideas for events and activities, please! It is very important that they are (mainly) things that I can organize pretty cheaply and without too too much trouble my myself, as I want as much money to got o charity as possible. The other important factor is that they will be fun for the families and kids taking parts.
Most of my students are aged 6 to 15 or so, I think most of the ideas I have will be fun for the 6-10 bracket but that I am short on ideas for the older kids.

So although this is request 2 it �s split into 3 categories:
a) any more ideas of good activities for the 6-10 age bracket
b) lots of good ideas for the 11-15 age bracket
c) more ideas like the raffle and the bazaar that maybe are more whole family events and the parents can enjoy, too

Sorry that this is another long, long post from me and thank you for reading to the end of it and for all the wonderful ideas I anticipate you will be sending my way.

Wishing you all a wonderful day.
Hugs and thank yous
Julia

9 Aug 2011      

sirhaj
Malaysia

Just some ideas:

1) Ask the students to write a story ( an activity you could ask them to do during lesson before the event) and sell their stories, the buyers could be parents, other children or public. They can put their creativity on the story ( drawing, coloured text, etc).
2) Make a colored paper dolls/cubeecraft which you can goggle and ask them to sell it ( just like suggestion 1).
3) Do a talent show during the event-the children can act, sing, tell a story, dance, etc and the public can put money into the donation box.
4) Take the students picture (whole class), print them and sell it to the public
5) Do auction on the students � stuff

You can just ignore them if you want.

9 Aug 2011     

ikebana
France

some more
-  ask your kids to make some cookies or cakes that you could  sell
-  ask your kids to  draw about their favourites ( pet , poem , place , ...) ( A4 size ) then laminate the drawings and turn them into table sets that you could  sell too.
hugs
IKEBANA

9 Aug 2011     

adrie.toth
Hungary

Make a theatre night - children could act out a famous story (Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White etc)  or you could make a musical night (Mamma Mia - for the older ones). I �m sure the parents would pay to see the children to perform in English.

You could also ask the older ones to write a kind of poem or draw a picture what it means for them to donate and organize these poems and drawings into a Calendar 2012.

A kind of talent show could be easily organized as well, where for example the parents should sing karaoke and the students will give points.

If you have more help, maybe you could barbecue and sell it

9 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

dear Julia,

I do hope your project will be a success.

What about finger puppets ? Your students could show the other children how to do them and sell them for a coin or 2. You could even perform a short play with them ?

And what about painted peebles ? It �s an easy activity and you need only few materials. Some plain peebles from the beach, large or small according to what you want to paint on (a seagull, a ladybird, flowers...). Your students could show the other children how to do them and sell them for some coins.

And why not make a giant picture you could ask several people and children to complete, a common work, some enterprise could buy for their entrance ? Each people would add one �s own part (a character, a house, a tree, an animal...) Just start the painting with a mountain for example, Fujiyama.

I wish you plenty of other ideas and let us know you were right to believe in your faith of Life !

Plenty of hugs.

Maryse.

9 Aug 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Hi Julia,
Please look at your fundraising Day with some oldies......"example"
(1) "Guess how many sweets are in the jar compititon � pick the right sweets for this like the good old jelly beans. If not Jelly Beans, try licorice allsorts, small jaw breakers, skittles, m&m �s, maybe even swedish fish! or, you might even try little debbie �s, it just depends on whether you want a lot in, or not to many.

(2) Egg Race:
1. Divide children or familys into two teams. Give each team a spoon & an egg.
2. Mark a start/finish line for race & a turn-around point, like a tree or a chair, between 15-20 � from start/finish line.
3. Each player must place an egg on the spoon & walk, as fast as he/she can, to the turn-around point and back, balancing egg on spoon.
4. Make sure children understand that they cannot hold egg while they walk. If egg falls, they must stop, place egg back on spoon, and continue the race. Anyone caught holding the egg will have to start his/her turn all over.
5. The first team to have all players complete the race, wins.

(3) Kids Love Hunting Treasure:
Plan a treasure hunt with each clue leading to the location of the next clue. You can buy a set of plastic Easter eggs, but you don �t need them. Just make the clues easy to identify (example use orange paper). Children as young as 3 can play this game by using pictures instead of words. (e.g. Put a picture of a tree in an egg. The next clue should be in the tree.) The final clue would lead to the treasure (plate of cookies, invitation to go to water slides, movie pass, lemonade). For older children, the clues could be riddles they need to solve. In the beginning, limit the number of clues to the age of the child ( 7year old could follow seven clues to the treasure). good for familys too.

Just some of the old classics for you to think about on your fundraising Day.

GOODLUCK! M8.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink

9 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Julia. I don �t know how much time youhave to organize the event but you might want to get other teachers, parents if possible, involved, upper grade students to run concession stands and do face painting etc. You �ll be spreading yourself thin if you are the only person running things. Delegate. You might want to have neighborhood businesses donate things for sale or for raffles. I don �t know how popular popcorn is in Japan, if it is, you can make batches ahead of time or if you know of a place  where they sell it in bulk already made it can be profitable. You can sell tickets for the different events and assign a number of tickets for the different events or concessions.

A cake walk is fun. Sell numbered tickets. Make a large circle with numbered boxes at given intervals and you play music when you stop the music pick a number out of a hat and the person standing in that numbered box wins the cake or pie, or whatever treat you chose at the beginning. It can also be be done with things that have been donated other than cake or pies.
A putting green can be fun. Get a putter set a cup and have kids three tries to get the ball into a cup that you �ve laid out.

Ball toss. Set up a hula hoop or other object students can try to throw a ball through.

Basketball toss. Set up a trash can and kids try and get the ball in the trash can. For all of these you can have different distances for the students depending on their ages.

These are just things off the top of my head.  Good luck . ed

9 Aug 2011     

juliag
Japan

Thank you all for your fantastic ideas. I will definitely be able to incorporate a lot of them. As this event is for my own classes and, hopefully, the kids living in my village, I won �t be able to enlist the help of other teachers, but I think (hope) some of the parents will help me and it is a great idea to ask some of the older students to help to run things, too. That will be a great way to get them involved as I think they could be rather reluctant if not. I really appreciate the time you took out of your day to help me out, huge thanks to you all. Hugs, Julia

9 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

How about an auction of some sort? People could bid on things the children have made, or even, baked or cooked for the event.

Heck, you could even auction off kids to other kids for a day. You could set guide lines as to "no doing homework for that person or degrading things like cleaning their toilets... "

9 Aug 2011