Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD of the DAY - The WINNER    

WORD of the DAY - The WINNER

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello, Everyone,
Here�s the WINNER of the "WORD of the DAY" Competition.

I asked for the silliest definition of this ordinary, idiomatic expression which is used in daily conversation.  In your imagination, what does the expression REALLY mean?
"Has the cat got your tongue?"

Here are the entries:

EXPLANATION: It is an expression used when a person speaks to a baby, or a young child, or occasionally an adult, and there is no reply.  The silence is often because of shyness; or because of naughtiness; or, in the case of an adult, an unwilligness to speak the truth.

"What�s your name, little baby? ... ... (Silence) ... ... Has the cat got your tongue?"
"Which little boy ate all the chocolates? ... ... What�s the matter? ... ... Has the cat got your tongue?"
"Well, Mr. Smith, you�re the Treasurer.  how do you explain the �100 missing from the cash box? ... ... (Silence) ... ... What�s the matter?  Has the cat got your tongue?"

The Winner is:

SUHAKHADER

CONGRATULATIONS.  Over to you!

Les

10 Aug 2011      

suhakhader
Jordan

Dear Les,

Thank you very much for choosing me as the winner of WOD of the Day for yesterday!

I �ll send mine soon:)

Suha

10 Aug 2011