Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word (Phrase) of the Day     

Word (Phrase) of the Day

juliag
Japan

Word (Phrase) of the Day

Okay, so let �s see what all you lovely ladies and gentlemen make of this, a phrase I have never heard before either but hopefully should stimulate some interesting responses:

Flutter the dovecotes.

I �m supposed to be going away late tomorrow afternoon overnight so I won �t be able to keep it running for quite 24 hours, but I �ll try to make sure that nominating the winner is the last thing I do before I leave. If I run out of time I �ll ask Mariethe to do the honors.

Have a wonderful Sunday all. Julia

14 Aug 2011      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Julia dear !

I did not know you personally know Hagrid (1 of Hogwarts � important characters) and that is his kind of speaking !

It means �Flush to the dolent dove �s coasts ! �. As you know well he takes care of the magical creatures and the dove he is telling about is an invisible one...

14 Aug 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Try to distract and feed the doves! Have you already forgotten the movie?

14 Aug 2011     

juliag
Japan

Seems like this wasn �t a very idea-inspiring phrase after all, sorry! And thank you to Maryse and Maria for your great definitions so far.

Here are a couple of pictures to help stir up your imaginations for anyone else who might want to take part

15 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

It �s the war cry of an anti-magician league (AML), a league of people that are attempting to do away with the "evil" trickery and illusions that magicians perform.  Most magicians are known to hide, among other things, doves in their coats so that hey suddenly appear at the most opportune time.  For this reason, the AML has taken to calling magicians (i.e. David Copperfield, Chris Angel, Houdini, etc.) "dovecoats".  To "flutter" the dovecoats is to send them fleeing (like the flutter of wings when doves take flight). 

"Flutter the dovecotes!! Do away with this evil trickery!"

Cheers, Douglas

15 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

the highest the bluer !

no flush ! no rush ! our feathers are brushed with light and sunbeams and we, doves have a perfectly and harmonicly coordinated flight...

Sounds great guys ! let �s take off too ! Flight Up Short to the Doves to Coordinate ! and we will feel lighter and brighter !

15 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Not very much inspired my dear Julia.
Flutter reminds me of Charlotte ...once she was wearing a lovely long dress made of that sort of material that rustles when you touch it ( taffetas?) and she was running in the tall grass here in the mountains, changing directions all the time, her blonde hair like feathers flying around her face. A little dove fluttering in the tall grass.  Sorry , no idea about the dovecotes. She is so free!Smile

15 Aug 2011