Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is there any mistake from this sentence?    

Is there any mistake from this sentence?

dahlia eva sue
Indonesia

Is there any mistake from this sentence?

I need your help to know about the mistake of this statement "When the company needs people to speak for it at a meeting, it can send a relation" 
I took it from one of the teacher �s printable about correcting mistake but I can �t correct it (That �s ashamed),, Could you please post your answer here? It would be helpful for me as y �all are great ^_^ thnx before.

15 Aug 2011      

Redbull
Thailand

Hi Dahlia,

When the company needs a representative/person/spokes person at the/a meeting,
It can send a representive/spokes person along to this meeting.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

15 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Dahlia.
"When the company needs people to speak for it at a meeting, it can send a relation".
Perhaps I �m slow this morning, but I don �t know what this sentence is supposed to mean!
When the company = singular, (it)
needs people = plural (person = singular)
to speak for it at a meeting

it can send = the company can send 
a relation = ? a relative?  a father/mother/brother/sister?

Possibly --- When the company needs people to speak for it at a meeting, it can send representatives/staff/Committee Members.

Possibly --- When the company needs a person to speak for it at a meeting, it can send a representative.

I understand that there is intended to be an error somewhere, but the way that it is written at present, I don �t understand the sentence, because it is not Standard English.

Why not write to the Member who wrote the Worksheet, asking for an explanation?

Les

15 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

I think that the "relation" is a false friend of some sort and it should be "representative".

15 Aug 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

try "if" instead of "when" and "representative" instead of "relation".
To me, it makes sense, then

15 Aug 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Indeed Les you are correct.  It does not make sense - well it sort of does but it is poorly worded.  I believe that the author intended the word �relation� to be the mistake yet the sentence itself is not quite right.

RB �s suggestion sounds good but I prefer  "When a company requires representation at a meeting it can send a representative/spokesperson" .

Yes, we can substitute �if � but �when � works when it is likely to happen.  They should both work.

Cheers

Jayho

15 Aug 2011     

dahlia eva sue
Indonesia

thnx redbull, Les, Zora, elderberrywine and jayho for your answers Smile. I agree with you to use representative instead of relation and if instead of when. One more time, thanks for your great explanation,, Have a wonderful day for you all Wink

16 Aug 2011