Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Is it necessary to discuss about the different attitudes of worldwide students towards their teachers?    

Is it necessary to discuss about the different attitudes of worldwide students towards their teachers?

GIOVANNI
Canada

Here in my country some of the schools have a problem with respect.   It depends on the school itself and the area where the school is located.  Mainly the problems lie in high schools where some teenagers try to test the teachers.  I have not encountered this as I mainly teach adults, but some of my friends who teach at high schools have told me that teachers sometimes have a problem with respect.  I am not saying all schools, but some.
As for kissing a child as Melissamorenot12  mentioned,  in my country teachers are very prudent about that as well, and tend not to kiss children goodbye.  At one time a teacher here would kiss a child goodbye, but that has changed in many schools, and most teachers do not do that anymore.
I agree with what Miameto and Libertybelle have stated that real respect is shown by enthusiasm and participation.
In my country everyone is on a first name basis and last names are not often used.

22 Dec 2008     

orchiddl
Vietnam

Thank you for all of you whose opinions are not the same, but these help me widen my knowledge about the delicate ground. Hope that you will share more to relieve teachers� burden.
Thank again.

22 Dec 2008     

aliciarc416
United States

respect is shown differently in each culture.  I teach in korea and i find my kids to be disrespectful by US standards.  I�m only 23, i am not too old to be disconnected from school life in the USA.  So its really about culture.  We don�t bow in the USA, that�s not are culture so its not disrespectful.  Normally students respond with Good morning Mr/Ms/Mrs_____.  So i would mindful of that.  In korea, kids look down to show respect, its the opposite america.  You show respect by looking into the eyes.  In the US, when the teacher talks, the students dont talk.  The list goes on of differences i have noticed.  So its really about cultural ideas of respect.  So trust me we have respect in are culture and our schools its just different. This is not the first time i have had someone mention no respect in the USA.

22 Dec 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

What an interesting topic.

Here in Denmark teachers complain about some ss lack of respect because their parents don�t show respect to the teachers. I  have  felt that and I can clearly pinpoint the parents who do not backup the teachers decisions.

I agree with what Miameto and Libertybelle have stated that real respect is shown by enthusiasm and participation.
I also agree with what vikii said about being tolerant of other cultures ways.

In Denmark you address to your teachers by their first name and when I come into the classroom the ss might say hi to me. I always say hi and expect a response from them (with a smile on my lips). They are not being disrespectful, they are just too "busy" with other things. Once we start the lesson, they all listen and try to be as active as possible. 
I grew up in Spanish speaking countries so I was more used to ss addressing the teacher by Mr or Mrs. We never felt close to our teachers. We acted more out of fear.
I do enjoy the relaxed way in which Danish ss behave but I put boundaries such as no swearing in my class.

22 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

In England (Wales actually) I remember I called my teachers Sir or Miss. �Here in Chile it�s "Mr" or "Miss" they also include my first name. �so "Mr Kevin". �Also the very young tended to jump on me and hug me, very difficult for a British man, and I found it difficult to know how to react to that. �Some students called me "Uncle". �It�s worth noting that the one US student in the class called me "Sir", and the one Korean bowed. �The difference in respect between the UK and Chile was tremendous. �In the UK teachers were respected a lot more, but I�m not sure if that difference is due to time or culture.

22 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

or perhaps difference in what we, as a teacher, consider to be respect because of our own cultural paradigm?

22 Dec 2008     

< Previous   1    2