Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Debate Topic: Books on Dieting For Kids - A Good or Bad Thing?    

Debate Topic: Books on Dieting For Kids - A Good or Bad Thing?

Zora
Canada

Debate Topic: Books on Dieting For Kids - A Good or Bad Thing?

Here �s today �s topic for those who aren �t on Spanish time:

Now I ran across this video last night (hopefully, you can all see it) and it really kind of bothered me that such a book was allowed to be published; mainly because it �s focus will probably not be towards those who need it...

I see that obese children are not going to be the ones who read this. It �ll be that shy, skinny girl who doesn �t quite think she �s pretty or skinny enough. She �ll be the one to pick up the book and empathize with the character and feel she needs to go on a diet to be popular... hence a dangerous but innocent move towards the social mantra "to be beautiful and successful you must be skinny, not fat".

http://ca.shine.yahoo.com/video/parenting-22429512/controversial-book-encourages-dieting-for-kids-as-young-as-6-26366737.html

What do the rest of you think? Oh, by the way... take the interview with a grain of salt since it IS Fox News! Not the most news worthy source out there.

Earlier opinions:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30014

24 Aug 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Even well meaning people commit blunders. When I was a young lad I was a rail and encouraged to eat everything on the plate. Now that I �m a tad older I have difficulty not eating everything on my plate. Listen carefully to what Jaime says to the kids at the beginning of the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkw3gD2vXnw&NR=1 "Eat it all up. I �m going to be checking to see who eats the most" and "Let �s eat it all up kiddies" or something to that effect. Not exactly moderation. You can become obese by overeating "healthy" food as well.

24 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

But weren �t those the ratio/servings carefully counted by the authorities? He �s just trying to talk them into eating salad for the most part...
If you watched all the videos, you would see how terrible those requirements as to the nutrients are and the way the people in power translate those into actual food the kids get. I �s awful! I mean flavoured milk, seriously? it �s probably made of milk powder anyway...
For example my boys love salad made from boiled beets, and can you guess why? bc they used to have it since they were babies. What I �m trying to say is that tastes and preferences in food start at a very early age and you actually teach your kids� receptors to "like" certain foods as you introduce them in their daily menu.
I also have to literally stop my boys from sneaking in the kitchen for cookies or else they �ll be overeating the carbs. And, I �d rather have them eat a cookie after a wholesome meal just for pleasure, than in between the meals.
Sophia

@Linda: sorry for slightly deviating from the main topic.

24 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Don �t worry Sophia, this is what makes a debate so interesting. Smile

I �d like to add that I read recently that people who make their own baby food, have children that are more apt to eat a wide variety of foods and be healthier eaters than people who give their children prepared baby food all the time.

25 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

@Zora... You are probably right. I can �t wait for my grandson to start eating solid food so I can steal his Gerber banana baby food. It �s the best!!!!! LOL

25 Aug 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

naughty you, dear Ed...

25 Aug 2011     

alien boy
Japan

Here�s an interesting article about �food preference � as distinct from �taste preference �.

I was a chef for many years & have continued to have a keen interest in food - culinary, cultural, scientific, natural & psychological aspects of food!

Knack Online: Shaping Food Preference & Taste of Young Children

I �ve often heard & read that taste/preference in food is determined by the time a child is 5 or 7. My personal experience with food would be proof against that idea!

ANywy, the idea of having dietary information for children & teens is really excellent. However, the presentation of the information is very important. The other thing that needs to be considered before promoting such material is the accuracy of the information. Children chaneg rapidly & many of the things we consider to be accurate for adults (& as adults) aren�t actually appropriate for children.

This site also looks interesting & helpful for teachers, parents, teens & younger children:
Kidshealth.org  (I �m very wary about using BMI for developing bodies - i.e. children & teens. For adults waist measurement apparently has a better correlation for health related issues.)

Cheers,
AB

25 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I think Obesity is often related to poverty ... Or low income rather.
I don �t know what costs more in your country but here in France, pasta, rice, carbohydrates, fat meat are far cheaper than lean meat, fresh vegetables, fruit etc.. So it �s very easy to give some advice on how to loose weight or eat properly but..... how feasible is it for some?
Here �s a link :

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2011/07/07/the-connection-between-obesity-and-poverty/

25 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I think it �s a very sensitive topic. We had something about it in our textbook and I always added another text with a title "Is image more important than being happy?".
It �s about accepting ourselves as we are and not trying to be the way the media want us to be. I think it �s can be dangerous to just point out the issue of obesity in the age of anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders. 

25 Aug 2011