Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day-Phrase of the day -WOD/POD Weekend*    

Word of the day-Phrase of the day -WOD/POD Weekend*

misseleonora
Argentina

Word of the day-Phrase of the day -WOD/POD Weekend*

This is a great honor and responsibility, but acting quite irresponsibly I will dare to change the rules a bit and post a made-up phrase this time. It means you won�t find this POD in any dictionary, so don�t even try.
 I just hope this is allowed, if not I will be at your disposal for whatever the law has to do with me:)
Here it goes:
" to blow one�s wig before the farmer digs"

I will choose the winner Sunday night/Monday morning (Spanish time) so you have the whole weekend to send your entries. The chosen definition will be the first to be part of the new ESL glossary.

Anyone can participate! So, don�t be shy and post a definition only if it is witty, silly, crazy, twisted, meaningless, childish or incredible.
Ready, steady, GO!!!!Clown

***Ps: subscribe to this thread and you will have the new entries on your screen.

27 Aug 2011      

maryse pey�
France

How did the player of the French horn know that the farmer is wearing a wig as a hat to go digging ? And what had this farmer done to make the player of the French horn so furious that he decided to blow as strongly as the wind to blow out his wig ???

That �s the summary of the last episode - and so badly unknown - of Sherlock Holmes � Adventures... but I am not sure to remember the end of the story...

27 Aug 2011     

Apodo
Australia

to blow one�s wig before the farmer digs

This saying arose during the mid seventeenth century when wig wearing was the fashion for men of the time. The illustration below gives an example of one of the inherent problems of wearing a powdered wig: powder on the shoulders. 

Charles-Alexandre de Calonne by �lisabeth-Louise Vig�e-Le Brun (1784)
London, Royal Collection

The Vicomte de Calonne is shown wearing a powdered wig; the powder that has fallen from the wig is visible on his shoulders. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wig

The labourers, land workers and tenant farmers laughed at such niceties, and used to delight in secretly aiming small pebbles at the rich land owners� wigs while they were digging, pretending the stone had been flicked up accidentally. They laughed and snickered to themselves when they saw the powder fall on to the men�s coats. To limit the amount of powder that could potentially fall, men of the day were advised that one should �blow one�s wig before the farmer digs�.

This, of course has led to the current term spoken to those with bad dandruff:
�Farmer been digging?�  Wink

28 Aug 2011