Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > POD on this 31 August - 2nd wave    

POD on this 31 August - 2nd wave

maryse pey�
France

POD on this 31 August - 2nd wave

Hey dear friends,

won �t you share your funny ideas with us with the POD ? Just follow the link to give them !

31 Aug 2011      

douglas
United States

Granny used to make a wonderful dish similar to stuffed bell peppers.  Instead of baking the peppers, she would deep-fry them.   It just happens that Granny lived on a farm and in the years that the harvest wasn�t so good they had to make-do with what they had--sometimes times were tough. 

The big farm house they lived in was a bit drafty and had a large, breezy attic.  At some point in time, bats found the attic and decided to settle there.  As the bats became more comfortable in their new home, they got braver and began to explore their new surroundings.  This, of course, led to them occasionally entering the living area and causing quite a stir.

Granny, in her aging condition, couldn �t see too well and had gotten a bit dotty.  One evening, while preparing her famous fried bell pepper recipe, she didn�t notice that a couple of bats had found their way into the deep fryer and become stuck there.  She turned on the fryer and began preparing (deep frying) the peppers without noticing the bats.  At dinner, they had special guests that night, the guests, after complimenting Granny on the extraordinarily good tasting peppers, started finding bat parts (wings, etc) in their meals.

Granny �s family got very upset and investigated the source of the bat parts which they found came from the deep fryer.  Apologizing, they explained the situation to the guests who had no problem with it , because the food had tasted so good.  Thereafter, Granny became known throughout the region for here outstanding cooking skills and for having "bats in her bell fry".  

Douglas

1 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Maryse Pey�,

�Bats in the belfry�.

You imply that this is an English expression, but, of course, both you and I know full well that it is a borrowed French expression, similar to:

1) �Cherchez la femme�

2) �Danny la Rue�

3) �Donner kebab�.

Every one of these phrases has its roots in French, (which can be discerned only by the trained linguist).  The translations are:

1) �The church is hungry�

2) �In the (diminutive) street�

3) �Give me a key, Baby!�

In a similar way, the sandal-wearing French linguist, Philippe Philoppe, has analysed the phrase, �Bats in the belfry�:

�bats� is derived from the  French verb, �battre�, �to fight�

�in� = �en� = �in�

�the� = �th� = �tea�

�belfry� = �belle�, �fr� = �La Belle France�.

This was a rallying cry in times of peril:  �Fight in tea, la Belle France!�

Many individuals have become mad, trying to decipher this mysterious, mystical, magical saying.  Indeed, many English students of French, raised on a diet of, �La plume de ma tante�, began to sing strange songs.

�I talked to the trees; so they just took me away!�

�Since you bought the water-bed, we�ve drifted far apart!�

�I thought that she was jogging, but she was running out on me!�

�If the phone doesn�t ring, it�s me not calling you.�

�Come down off the stove, Granny, you�re too old to ride the range.�

For this reason, �Bats in the belfry�, has become connected with inanity, imbecility, or even idiocy.

In the UK, some English students receive criticism for learning a foreign language.  As an example, a French tourist fell into the River Thames in London.  He shouted: �Au secours!  Au secours!� (�Help! Help!�)

A Londoner looked down from a bridge, and shouted: �Instead of learning French, you should have learned how to swim!�  

Les

1 Sep 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Bats in the Belfry means there are small furry flying mammals ( Chiroptera ), with forelimbs that are webbed and developed as wings,  living in the bell tower of a place of worship. The bats flit about a bit, especially when the bell is rung by an expert team of campanologists. (as you can imagine)
But what it really means is you can obtain sporting equipment without having to pay for it in the local pub, �The Bell �. Thus the saying; Bats in The Bell free.

LOL  And I�m still chuckling over idthemagician�s reply.

1 Sep 2011